tips for asian bumble bee cats

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
asian_bumblebeecat
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: bt66799
Location 2: northern ireland uk

tips for asian bumble bee cats

Post by asian_bumblebeecat »

1, hiding spaces preferable bog wood
2, food lots of it
asian_bumblebeecat

Re: tips for asian bumble bee cats

and lots of vegetation and dim lighting for there best colours
Belly-up
Location 1: Northern Lower Michigan
Location 2: USA

Post by Belly-up »

I`m picking up a couple P. siamensis and have a couple tanks I can put them in. Which do you think better? Fifty-five gallon with an assortment of barbs in the 2' plus range and two each of Yoyo and Burma Border loaches in the 3" range. Or would my 125g Hillstream tank with larger barbs and Hillstream trout along with five 2.5-3" Sumo loaches be a better fit? Both tanks have a lot of hiding spots and are kept on the cooler side as far as temps go.

The Bumblebees are two to three inches at this time so are not an immediate threat to any of my other fish, I hope.

I though this a good thread to ask the question in since it deals with tips on keeping these fish. Any input is welcome.
asian_bumblebeecat

sorry I was away, but from my knowledge from keeping them and helping out the lfs they sem to be happy in any tank with an area of at least 18 inches by 12 inches
nikirushka
Location 2: UK

Post by nikirushka »

I would put them in the bigger tank with the bigger fish, and be aware that the bigger the get, the bigger the fish they can take on! I've just moved a 6" one on because he'd killed several adult gold barbs and two full grown spotted hoplos. He was a bit of a rogue I think but I wouldn't take chances!

18x12 is IMO far too small when they can reach over half that length without the tail - my big ones were in a 72x24. I think they'd have been fine in a 48x18 at the smallest, so long as there were a LOT of hiding places. As it was they were very placid but they were fed VERY well!
Belly-up
Location 1: Northern Lower Michigan
Location 2: USA

Post by Belly-up »

Well the choice was kind of taken away from me. The catfish were larger than I thought they would be. Large enough that fear of them eating my beloved sumo loaches forced me to put them in the fifty-five for now. I can see that at some point they will have to be moved to a larger tank. I got rid of some of the smaller fish so there is no risk to the current occupants.

I ended up buying three. I knew it was one too many but when I saw them I could not resist. Very cool fish, destined to be a new favorite.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”