Breeding habits similar or identical to L46?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
tordek
Location 1: uk

Breeding habits similar or identical to L46?

Post by tordek »

Hi, I’m doing a breeding project at college and want to breed something with very similar if some the same breeding habits as L-46.

I obviously cant get any L-46 as they are well out of the college budget but other than that I have pretty much any resources available that I could possibly need.

Basically I was to breed a fish that would simulate the same procedure as breeding L-46. Preferably something that is not too difficult, reasonably easy to get hold of and something that looks good too!

I considered L-262 But was wondering what else there is out there...

Also any tips would be much appreciated, I have a small amount of practical knowledge breeding loricariidae and a reasonable amount of theoretical knowledge...
Farid
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Switzerland/Zurich

Post by Farid »

hi,
how about L134? i would just check to get really adult pairs otherwise it will take ages until they grow up.

farid
My cats L2,49,47,46,L66,134,181,189,200,201,204,205,208,260,397,LG6,Parotocinclus recife/halderoi,A.ranunculus,Peckoltia sp. "rio palacio",Pseudohemiodon platycephalus/lamina,Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus,Rineloricaria lanceolata,St.festivum,Akysis vespa,Bunocephalus corracoides,Synodontis multipunctatus/grandiops, C.panda,adolfoi,cruziensis
xingumike
My images: 7
My cats species list: 20 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Dubai - UAE
Location 2: Dubai - UAE

Post by xingumike »

L134 aren't Hypancistrus though, and they seem to be quite hard to get hold of in the UK as well.

How about L260 or L066, both the same genus and a more available and affordable Hypancistrus sp. that H. zebra. At the prices i have seen both of those you could pick up a colony for under £100.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I would have recommended L134 also but if its Hypancistrus you want then xingumike's suggestions are good picks.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
tordek
Location 1: uk

Post by tordek »

Yeah L260 was my idea, I said L262 in my origornal post because I have had both and they are very simillar and easy to confuse!

Iv seen breeding setups for L260 before and they were almost identicle to L46.

Anything anyone know about breeding them? Time to get reading!
xingumike
My images: 7
My cats species list: 20 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Dubai - UAE
Location 2: Dubai - UAE

Post by xingumike »

Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

L260 are the catfish of the month this month, also ;). As someone that breeds both fish, the L260 are definitely similar in their needs to H. zebra. If anything, zebra are more forgiving than L260 in regards to a proper rainy season. I used L260 as my "warm up" fish for working with my H. zebra.

L134 might look like H. zebra, but from everything I've read they require a much different stimulation to spawn than you'd be using for H. zebra. I wouldn't know, as I have a colony that is only just now old enough to attempt to work with ;).

Barbie
pleco_farmer
I've donated: $50.00!
Location 1: Wash, DC, USA

Post by pleco_farmer »

Plus, L-260/66 are usually found at pretty large sizes. Of all the hypancistrus that we import, they generally arrive much more mature than the rest. They are also among the easiest to find at retailers, and need less of a dramatic change to trigger.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”