whitewater/blackwater?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Andy
Location 1: Ostersund, Jämtland (Northern Sweden)
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

whitewater/blackwater?

Post by Andy »

Am a bit curious as to whether most doradids are found in whitewater areas or in blackwater, should I include peat in an aquarium with them?
hopefully there's no such thing as a stupid question so thanks for any feedback on this issue.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Depends on the species. Tell us what you have and we'll let you know if it's more suited to white- or blackwater.
Andy
Interests: 190L: 1 P. Costatus, 1 Pimpictus, 1 A. Grypus, 3 Ancistrus (1 from the wild!), 3 angelfish

whitewater/blackwater?

Post by Andy »

I haven't actually set the tank up yet. I posted this because I didn't want to make any unnecesary mistakes when I do get the tank up and running. I was planning on getting hold of some spotted and striped raphaels. I've even thought about including an Anadorus grypus that the lfs had gotten ahold of but I don't know anything about that one exept its swedish name translates to roughly shadowy or cloudy talking catfish. Is it going grow too large for a 40 gallon tank if I do decide to rescue it from its unpleasant tankmates?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Spotted and striped raphaels are generally whitewater fish. The <i>Anadoras</i> will reach about 15-20 cm, so it'll only just fit in a 40-gallon.
Andy

whitewater/blackwater?

Post by Andy »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to givesome serious thought as to whether or not I'll get the Anadorus.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”