Pimelodella picta aka Pictus Catfish help!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Pictuscat
Location 1: Colorado Springs

Pimelodella picta aka Pictus Catfish help!

Post by Pictuscat »

http://www.users.bigpond.com/rjeb/pictus.html this is the catfish i have an was wondering what other catfish will go good with 2 6" oscars! i havw 2 3" pictus catsfish an the oscar took a bite out of his tail an i nedt o know what other cat can take care of himself? this is probley noit the right place to post this but im new an sorry for the trouble! thanks again for the help
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Large pimelodids, doradids or plecos are a few of the catfishes suitable as tankmates for oscars. I presume you have a tank large enough for fish like that?
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

pimelodella picta is an incorrect name its pimelodus pictus (i think :? ), how big is your tank?? some good candidates are striped raphaels,spotted raphaels,chocolate raphaels,white line pim,rusty plecos,sailfin plecos,mango plecos,common plecos,ornate pim,lima shovle nose. Theres lots, its hard to list them all so just look in the cat-e-log under the familys silirus provided, good luck.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Pictuscat
Location 1: Colorado Springs

Post by Pictuscat »

yes i do have a tank big enough for these fish i have a 135gallon, it has 2 6" Oscars 2 4" jack Demseys 2 3" pictus cats an 2 3" placos but one pictus is hurt from the oscar :( the oscar has try to eat one but got a big suprise when the cat ripped his lip open because of his spines in his fins :o this time the Oscar got his tail an put a big hole in it now youcan see the flesh an some blood vains i hope he will be fine i took him out an put him in the hospital tank for now thanks for all the help an advice
aeroflight
Location 1: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Post by aeroflight »

I've got

2 Oscars (6", 3")
1 Sailfin Pleco (6")
1 Asian Bumblebee Catfish (2.5")
3 Pictus Catfish (3")

in my 135g tank. The biggest of my two oscars once tried to eat one of the pictus cats, got him halfway down too, but had his lip pierced by the spines as well. I guess he learned his lesson as I've yet to see him make a serious attempt to get any of the catfish again. Sure, he'll try to nip at their fins when they get too close, but the catfish seem to stay out of his way too.

Make sure you've got some sort of cave, tunnel, or something to provide some shelter for the pictus cats. Two of the three pictus cats I've got prefer a tunnel as it gives them a place to hide, but also gives them a way to escape should the oscar try to see what's hiding in it. With the exception of that one lip-piercing mishap, the oscars and pictus cats haven't had any trouble.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”