Doradid for a Crenicichla tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BoBzz
Location 1: Fenton, MI
Interests: SA and African Biotope Aquariums

Doradid for a Crenicichla tank

Post by BoBzz »

I want to include a few Doradid catfish into my new pike cichlid tank but im not sure if any share biotopes with them or if they would even be able to survive the pikes voracious appetite?!?! :(
I dont have any set plans for the species of pike but it isnt going to be one of the larger ones nor is it going to be dwarf.
Somewhere around a foot (nothing over 14")
*Fishes*
4x Hypselecara Temporalis (6-7")(3-4")
4x Myleus/Metyinnis sp. (2-3") 1x Leporinus Fasciatus (2")
2x Sorubim Lima (4-5")
1x Pseudomystus Siamensis 1x Ompok sp. (5")
2x Synodontis Ocellifer (6") S. Decorus (1-2") 1x Mystus Leucophasis (7")
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Usually Crenicichla doesn't harm any catfishes, unless they enter the spawning place/territory.
If you make enough hiding places, almost any Doradid will do fine, with the exception of species like Hassar, Trachydoras or Opsodoras.
If you want them to be of a size with your Pikes, go for Platydoras or Orinocodoras; those are more visible and faster than the very nocturnal, slow Acanthodoras, Amblydoras or Agamyxis. The latter three stay smaller (5" or so, usually); while the first two can reach 9" or more.
Furthermore; Orinocodoras and Platydoras are slightly more territorial and Orinocodoras is an active swimmer too; much more compatible with Crenicichla.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
BoBzz
Location 1: Fenton, MI
Interests: SA and African Biotope Aquariums

Post by BoBzz »

Sid MA MAN! :D
Why is that Pikes leave most cats alone?
Would the Orinocodoras be fine with a Lima Shovelnose(just hope i can stop the pike from eating this one :? ) as well?
*Fishes*
4x Hypselecara Temporalis (6-7")(3-4")
4x Myleus/Metyinnis sp. (2-3") 1x Leporinus Fasciatus (2")
2x Sorubim Lima (4-5")
1x Pseudomystus Siamensis 1x Ompok sp. (5")
2x Synodontis Ocellifer (6") S. Decorus (1-2") 1x Mystus Leucophasis (7")
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

It depends on tanksize, mind!
In a too small tank, Crenicichla, like many of it's big cousins, can turn into vicious killers.
I wouldn't attempt this in any tank smaller than 1,5-better 2- meters. Those big Crenicichla's have breeding territories to match.

But as cichlids go, they're fairly tolerant of any fish NOT resembling them in shape or behaviour. They're not so "glued" to the floor, like a lot of Central American species; they really like to hide themselves diagonally under or sideways to a big piece of rootwork. It makes sense for a pike-like fish that is an ambush hunter.
I definitely wouldn't gamble a Shovelnose with them, too risky.
Highbuild fish, nocturnal spiny critters, sharklike swimmers (like Orinocodoras) are fairly safe.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”