Channel Cat Health Questions...

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
love_abomination
Location 2: Florida, US

Channel Cat Health Questions...

Post by love_abomination »

I have a lovely Channel catfish that I've had since..oh...Novemeber...I've raised her (well, idk how to tell sexes, but I decided it seemed like a she, and that Moxie was a most suited name) from about 3 inches, into the mighty 10 inches she is today.
A few questions though...
-If their growth is stunted, will they regrow more once they're back in a spacious enough environment? Would about a month in a smaller tank cause stunting?
-Her right eye is clouded over. It's not Popeye, it's just literally clouded over, all white and cloudy. I can still see her eye through it. I've noticed a couple white spots along her right side, too...the spots might be ick, and I have no idea how she got it...the tank was cleaned last week. My only guess is that one of the feeder mollies I dumped in the other day must've had it, which is weird, they all looked great, and I get them from a pretty reputable lfs. From the ones that are left, I don't see anything, and I don't recall ick causing cloudy eyes...I read something about a cloudy eye on black skirt tetras, and it killed them. I REALLY don't wanna lose her...Not to mention, being a cat, how would I treat her?
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Channel Cat Health Questions...

Post by Birger »

into the mighty 10 inches she is today.
She is just getting going, there is a fair ways to go yet...
-Her right eye is clouded over. It's not Popeye, it's just literally clouded over, all white and cloudy. I can still see her eye through it.
Quite often cloudy eyes is a water quality issue...it is hard to stabilize water quality in a small tank with a big predatory fish, what size tank is it in?
My only guess is that one of the feeder mollies I dumped in the other day must've had it, which is weird, they all looked great, and I get them from a pretty reputable lfs.
It is very hard to keep pathogens out when feeding feeders...they are generally not the best quality fish and coming from an outside source can bring in any number of things, you should get it on to other foods as soon as possible.
I REALLY don't wanna lose her...Not to mention, being a cat, how would I treat her
These are really quite durable cats and I think it would come down to water quality again...try daily water changes(with conditioner of course) and this should do wonders and get that big big big tank as soon as possible.

Another point is as the fish gets bigger you should be leaving longer intervals between feedings...they do not need to be fed every day.

Birger
Birger
love_abomination

Oh golly, I fail. I'm sorry, I assume everyone knows everything...I don't post in forums much, and tend to forget all the basic need-to-know stuff.
I know she's just getting going =P Was just being cute since she's no longer the cute little fingerling she was when I got her. I've got a big pool all ready for her when she gets big.
She's in a 100 gallon for now. She has some thick plants, rocks, and driftwood for hiding. I do weekly vaccuming/water changes, to help ensure the water quality doesn't get bad. I've never had such a problem in all these months, and haven't done anything different.
Oh...I didn't know that. I guess it makes sense, since you wanna quarantine any new tank mates...for some reason, I never made the connection with feeders.
She's already on a mix of shrimp, carnivorous, and algae pellets. She tends to come up and rip off the gourami's flake food, too. I give her ghost shrimp and mollies to supplement that, since I always thought variety was best.
Really now? I though all catfish were sensitive to copper-meds (which I assume is what would be used if this were ich, but the white "spot" is just a little abrasion..I'm guessing her driftwood hide, since she came in rather hard to it.
But I'm doing another water change as we speak...since in my mind, it made the most sense.

:O I had no idea. I've been feeding her meals every other night, with little snackie ones the inbetween nights. T.T *feels like a dope*
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Don't be to hard on yourself...sometimes we read between the lines and it is not always the best thing to do but if we throw ideas out it may hit on something that will help.

It is possible it could have hit it's eye I suppose dashing after a feeder.
But I'm doing another water change as we speak...since in my mind, it made the most sense.
Never a bad idea and in many cases does a lot of good.

Birger
Birger
love_abomination

=) It's cool.
And just thought I'd let you know that after a 50% water change (done by vaccuming the bottom extra thoroughly) that night, her eye was all cleared up by dinner time the day after.
It's so weird...I mean, that morning she was fine, and then randomly in the afternoon, it's all cloudly, and then poof, good as new again. All the new fish must've really done something bad to the water.

I mean, the whole thing really reminds me of this Family Guy clip for some reason: http://tubearoo.com/articles/34700/Fami ... essel.html

I guess its the same silly (but sad on my Moxie girl) "one messed up eye" look.

Anyway, Thanks alot :) Take care!

Return to “Other Catfishes”