What to feed a Corydoras

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
isley887
Location 1: USA

What to feed a Corydoras

Post by isley887 »

Currently, I just let my cory scavenge what the other fish don't eat, but i heard that i should feed them special food, like vegetables. Is this true?

If so, how should I go about doing this?
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

Corys really do not need vegetables in their diet. There are many quality sinking pellets available. You can supplement these with frozen bloodworms or even brine shrimp.

Mark
chef
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: stafford england
Interests: corydoras breeding etc

Post by chef »

tetra tabimin works very well as do frozen foods but if you can get them live foods such as whiteworms,tubifex,and daphnia are better
squid
Location 1: Philippines.
Interests: Tropical fish, internet, swimming, sleeping...

Post by squid »

i feed my cories tetrabits, frozen bloodworms and some sinking pellets, also algae wafers:)
they seem to like frozen bloodworms the best :)
NewFishKeeper
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Warwick, England
Interests: Pc stuff and fish!

Post by NewFishKeeper »

mine seem to love the bloodworm too!

Also algae wafers, and sinking stuff! lol
dave863
Location 1: N.Y

Post by dave863 »

One thing I have always wondered, will the live foods (i.e. the worms) be able to live and breed in the tank?
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

The worms do get into the substrate and will live in the tank. Do not overfeed live worms or they certainly will take up residence in yourtank. You can use a glass dish on the bottom of the tank to contain the worms when you feed them.

Mark
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Some worms, such as Tubifex can live in aquarium conditions.

Bloodworms will form mosquitos if they aren't eaten (not much chance in any of my tanks, but given the right occupants and conditions, yes they will).

Others depend on what they need to survive, and how alike or different that is from the aquarium conditions.

Brineshrimp for instance need a certain amount of salt in the water to hatch (and live), so if your tank isn't at least brackish, they would die eventually.

Generally speaking, it's not a problem with mixed fishes in the tank, but if the fish is quite slow and the worms are fast, you could have a few escapee's, and that can sometimes cause a problem. Some of the Corydoras Cat-eLog feeding instructions have a note saying "Beware when feeding tubifex that they do not dig into the gravel".

--
Mats
squid
Location 1: Philippines.
Interests: Tropical fish, internet, swimming, sleeping...

Re: What to feed a Corydoras

Post by squid »

Any tips on feeding tubifex with gravel in tank? i have aquaclay and i notice thay when i drop tubifex, some of them dig into the aquaclay.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Unless you know very well where the tubifex is coming from, it is best not fed to your fishes - tubifex lives mostly in highly polluted (chemical polluted) areas. Apparently, they can withstand much more toxins than predators, such as fishes, which makes them florish in these areas

And completely unsuited to feed any fish.

As stated, unless you know the batch at hand is one of the few exceptions
cats have whiskers
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

my cories like sinking pellets, such as shrimp and carnivore tabs, they like NLS small granules, they like defrosted Hikari frozen of many kinds: Tubifex, bloodworm, spirulina shrimp, daphnia, etc. They also like the cichlid flake by omega one that sinks down that my other fish eat. They eat many things. I feed them purposefully after the tank lights go out.
corywink
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: corydoras!

Post by corywink »

My corys' staple food is NLS thera (garlic), I feed this every other day, the other days I feed HBH flakes, brime shrimp flakes, earthworm flakes and live white worms once a week. They go crazy for the live worms, they'll start digging and digging immediately.

If your substrate isn't too thick, I think the corys should be able to get the worms that burrow into the substrate. Of course if you have a big rock/driffwood covering the substrate, the corys can't get the worms hiding underneath.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”