Power cut

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
bigward
Location 1: Hartlepool - U.K.
Interests: Anything Fishy ........

Power cut

Post by bigward »

The wife has just phoned me stating 'we have had a power cut' (yes the bills have been paid :wink: ) at home. I am not worried about the temperature - its the 2 power filters ............... should I get the wife to disconnect them until the power is switch back on ?

Basically what is the best action to take in the event of a power cut ?

Cheers
"Toodle ooo"

Comic Book Guy
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Power cut

Post by MatsP »

Disconnecting the filters doesn't do anything good. If it's a short power-cut, you should be OK. If it lasts for several hours, I'd remove the filters and clean them out. The other option (shortly after the break starts) is to make a mess in the tank by squeezing some filter media into the tank - that will make some of your filter bacteria stay alive. Then, if it's lasted for more than an hour or so, rinse your filter media with tank-water, and restart the filter.

The problem is that if the filter isn't getting fresh oxygenated water, the bacteria will die. When you restart the filter, it will blow a toxic mess of dead bacteria and chemicals produced by the dead bacteria into the tank. That's why you should clean the filter before restarting it, if it's been off for a longer period of time.

--
Mats
bigward

Post by bigward »

Thanks for that ........ I was doing a water change and cleaning of the filters tomorrow in anycase but I guess I will just bring that forward to tonight when I get home from work. Fingers crossed it will be back on by then.

cheers.
"Toodle ooo"

Comic Book Guy
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

So, if it lasts for a while, I'd say you need to UNPLUG the filters from the electrics, to avoid the filter restarting and spewing dead bacteria back into the tank, just to clarify things.

Edit: I realize that this is not quite matching what I said in the first sentence of the first post - this is a CORRECTION to clarify that!

--
Mats
bigward

Post by bigward »

I have just phoned the wife and told her to pull the plugs on them as she is going out for the afternoon and I won't be in until 5pm. Looks like I have got my activities sorted for tonight.

Cheers once again
"Toodle ooo"

Comic Book Guy
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

bigward wrote:I have just phoned the wife and told her to pull the plugs on them as she is going out for the afternoon and I won't be in until 5pm. Looks like I have got my activities sorted for tonight.

Cheers once again
And none of those activities involve going out, right ;)

--
Mats

Return to “Speak Easy”