What sort of homebrew foods do your fish like?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
AlaskanCorydoras
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 2: Anchorage Alaska

Post by AlaskanCorydoras »

I've recently tested out a couple home-made foods on my tanks. So far it has been limited to "clean" portions of what I'd been eating at the time. Both Salmon and Turkey have caused serious feeding frenzies in both my main tanks. (watching a betta eat a string of turkey as long as its own body, like some giant noodle, is hilarious.)

I'm curious what foods other people have found that their tanks particularly like?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: What sort of homebrew foods do your fish like?

Post by MatsP »

I have fed all sorts of "leftovers" to my fish. A favourite to the plecos (and others) is cooked pasta - with tomato sauce is fine (but I would avoid ketchup).

Of course my pleco feeding article (link on right) contains a large list of suggestions for "homemade foods".

--
Mats
AlaskanCorydoras
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Anchorage Alaska

Post by AlaskanCorydoras »

I have 3 serious tanks. . . 2 55s and a 90. (I'm planning 2 180s in 18-24 months time.)

Each of these tanks has a common pleco, all about 5-6". And each has some cories. The plecos seem to be fat and happy (I've had to rename "Inappropriately frightened" to "(no longer) Inappropriately Frightened" and "The Thing that Lurks and Yearns for Brains" is quite a contented fish. Sadly I think "the Beast" needs more hiding spots, as he is quite stressed out. Going to have to find somewhere to put a suitably sized cave for him. . . that tank is getting crowded.) but I'd love to find things they'd enjoy eating. Also, I've noted my Paelatus cories eating from the surface on occasion. Is this normal?
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

Also, I've noted my Paelatus cories eating from the surface on occasion. Is this normal?
Yup. It's somewhere in the FAQ I think. If they're doing it alot, maybe not good but occasionally yes. Fast little fish when they do that eh?
Definitely check out MatP's article :thumbsup:
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Shrimp, prawn, crab, lobster, oyster, mussel all get fed once in a while (if i'm having them), i must get round to trying yoghurt though..
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

mine are notorious for stealing beer from the fridge, making the tank all yellow and foamy; they snogg the coffee from the table when I turn around and sometimes ring up pizza's at 4 am.

bastards
Valar Morghulis

Return to “Tank Talk”