Striped Rafael-Gotta Know??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Bigdan
Location 1: Greensboro, NC U.S.A.
Interests: CATFISH for sure,movies,music, and all types of freshwater aquaria

Striped Rafael-Gotta Know??

Post by Bigdan »

Hello everybody- It's been a while! Well I think I'm in the right forum. I purchased a 55 gal and after cycling I started to stock it. I found a striped rafael and put it in the tank w/my tiger and rosey barbs. This cat is so laid back! The next day I found a smaller striped rafael for 1/2 the price so I said to myself, why not? When I put the other rafael in the tank, the other one acted like it could care less. Later on they bullied with each other-mainly in a playful manner. What I would like to know is, how are these cats socially? Are they always so laid back and passive? These guys are juveniles now, will they change tempermant with age? If anyone knows anything about this cat, can you let me have some info-other than the Cat of the Month? Thank you---BIGDAN
Cories Rule!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

They should get along fine, provided that there are ample hiding places provided.
CaTfiSh CoMRaD
Interests: Fishing, aquariums, rocketry, media

Post by CaTfiSh CoMRaD »

:idea: Striped rafaels are very peaceful catfish. In a 55 gallon aquarium, one that we maintain at our high school, the rafael usually likes to keep to himself and can be a little bit shy. They will never be territorial outside of their own species, but in your case, they might be towards each other. When they get bigger, make sure you give them a good deal of spinach or sinking food in different parts of the tank. That way they will never have to act aggresively towards one another in order to get food. Eventually adult rafaels may choose to eat a little fish or two, so be careful with what kinds of fish you have in the tank (avoid corys or little plecostumus). It's been a while since you posted your message so let me know how the rafaels are doing.

Tim
Bigdan
Location 1: Greensboro, NC U.S.A.
Interests: CATFISH for sure,movies,music, and all types of freshwater aquaria

Post by Bigdan »

I know this is late comrad, but I have since given away one of the rafaels. The one I have, I never hardly see! But is doing great. I love this cat and hope to have it for a long time. 8)
Cories Rule!
sand506
Location 1: Cheyenne, WY

Post by sand506 »

i have had mine for about 6 months now and it pretty much stays to itself. never has bothered anyone else. it loves hiding places and burying itself in the gravel

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”