Are the Corys DONE breeding, or AREN'T they???

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Aquafinatic
Location 2: SouthEastern Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Interests: Aquaria, playing music, gardening, cooking and baking, foreign lands, my family, the Lord Jesus. (Not necessarily in that order) :o)

Are the Corys DONE breeding, or AREN'T they???

Post by Aquafinatic »

I am currently raising (3) types of corys, with intentions of breeding them when they are sexually mature. As a result, I've been studying, so I'm ready to go when the big time comes.

On ONE hand, this will be sort of a "beginners" question. On the other, it is exactly BECAUSE of my study, that I have this question. I realize that there are different approaches to this endeavor, and that each fish has its own behavior. But I don't think that's what the issue is, in this case. I've read many articles on this topic, and although this apparent mystery or "contradiction" was present, it was not addressed by any of the authors.

Here is the scenario: In many of the articles, the author points out that when the breeding activity stops, either the corys or the eggs should be removed, as these fish are hungry little buggers, and they are known for eating the eggs. Okay --- I've got it.

But in several OTHER articles, I've read something to this effect: "After the end of the THIRD DAY, they appeared to be done spawning, so I removed all of the corys from the tank."

Okay, so I'm confused. Here are my questions:

:?: If a particular group of corys spawns for multiple days, are they actually maintaining their "spawning activity" that whole time? Do they become exhausted, and have to rest?

:?: Don't they become HUNGRY during that time, and start eating eggs? I would think that few eggs would be left, by a second or third day.

:?: If they spawn intermittently, with "breaks" along the way, do aquarists sneak in there and take the eggs out during one of the breaks? If so, doesn't that "spook" the fish, and interfere with their spawning?

There you have it. I'm puzzled. :?
Aspidoras c.f. Albater (and progeny) / Brochus Splendens / Corydoras Pygmaeus / Corydoras Aeneus (albino) / Ancistrus sp. L144 (gold & red calico & peppermint & long fin and progeny) / Syndontis (unknown types x 3)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Are the Corys DONE breeding, or AREN'T they???

Post by MatsP »

Again, I can't answer your precise questions, but my corys tend to spawn for a few hours or so - and I collect the eggs after that. Some types of corys are ravenous egg-eaters, so you will not see much in the way of eggs.

--
Mats
Aquafinatic
Interests: Aquaria, playing music, gardening, cooking and baking, foreign lands, my family, the Lord Jesus. (Not necessarily in that order) :o)

Post by Aquafinatic »

Hi Mats,

I'm wondering if maybe THIS is part of the answer:

You say that YOUR corys tend to spawn for a few hours. You now KNOW that, so you have a pretty good idea of approx. WHEN they should be done. Based upon that, you also know when to collect the eggs.

If it's true that some of these species do take 2 or 3 days to get the job done, (which is quite a bit different from yours, for example)... I'm wondering if most aquarists just use a "trial and error" method, until they know the habits of each of their cory species, then just act accordingly after that.

Thanks!
Aspidoras c.f. Albater (and progeny) / Brochus Splendens / Corydoras Pygmaeus / Corydoras Aeneus (albino) / Ancistrus sp. L144 (gold & red calico & peppermint & long fin and progeny) / Syndontis (unknown types x 3)
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I don't think it's as easy as that - a big part of fishkeeping is "knowing your own fish" - they are not all the same even if they are the same species. So if you see your fish in a spawning frenzy for a bit, then later on observe them going about as usual, then they have stopped spawning - they may start again in a few hours, or a day, or three months - depends on so many factors that it's hard to say for sure.

--
Mats
corycrazy
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Bristol UK

Post by corycrazy »

I agree all corys are different, i'm relative new to corys and have only kept them since last september,within a week my trilineatus had started spawning,they only give a few eggs,the most being around 16 eggs ,within 3-4 hours i then remove them (after playing hunt the eggs) when they've stopped quivering and racing around the tank :lol:
Aquafinatic

Post by Aquafinatic »

corycrazy wrote:...... when they've stopped quivering and racing around the tank :lol:
They ARE hysterical sometimes, aren't they? :D

I have a group of 12 (albino) C. Aeneus, in a rather tall 37-gallon tank, (with some angels). Those crazy cats race from the substrate, to the surface, and back, at least 10 to 12 hours per day. They never seem to grow tired! They have many near-collisions every day, but never seem to actually collide. Nevertheless, the angels have learned to "steer clear" of those cats! :lol:

This is the kind of interesting fish behavior that has drawn my wife and daughters closer to this hobby.
nj2tou
Location 1: L.I., NY

Post by nj2tou »

My peppereds go into a frenzy every now and then (usually after a water change) and drive the poor female nuts! I watched them one night and OMG! it was crazy! I actually saw her deposit some eggs on the front glass. I honestly do NOT want a bunch of babies - don't know what I'd do with them, as I don't want another tank set up and don't know anyone who'd want them - so I just leave them. Yes, they're usually mostly gone by the next day. Sometimes not, but I don't know that any of them are viable anyway. I look at them through a magnifying glass, but don't see anything resembling a fish fetus. LOL!

When they were in my two Eclipse tanks that had way overgrown their plants, I DID spot one baby Panda and was soooo excited about that, cuz he or she was soooo cute! And I know I have one or two more peppereds than I started out with, but never saw them as babies. Those tanks had gotten pretty neglected, between a move and a death in the family, etc. So the plants were VERY overgrown and obviously a couple of eggs missed being eaten and the babies were able to hide in the plants until they were big enough to join the gang.

My pandas also recently were in what appeared to be a spawning frenzy. Nothing appears to have hatched from any of the spawns, but even though I have lots of plants and driftwood that the adults can hide in, there's nothing that's really fry friendly.
fair1889
Location 2: sheffield england

Post by fair1889 »

I recently obtained a group of 7 Sterbai. After a couple of months of conditioning they started to show signs of mating.
Now all I do is acooler water change of around 15% in the evening. In the morning I find between 30-50 eggs on the front glass which I removwe to tubs. They seem to have stopped breeding and totally ignore the eggs if left. Two days later another water change and it starts again. As I haven't had them long I'm am interested to see if it continues. You can just make out eggs on the photo as the site cuts off the right of the photo showing more eggs :?

[Mod edit: remove extraneous image --Mats]
corywink
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: corydoras!

Post by corywink »

from my experience, a cory spawning session lasts a few hours, it's ok to retrieve the eggs during the spawning session if you're afraid they will be eaten. They'll get scared for a few minutes but will resume spawning. I do this with my pandas because they are vigorous egg eaters!

I recently spawned my C. weitzmani and they've rarely eaten their eggs, so I just leave them be and collect the eggs the next day.

As to how long they will spawn for, as mentioned, each spawning session lasts for a few hours, and then a few days later they will spawn again. For me, this spawning period lasts for about 1-2 months then they will stop, or the majority of the eggs will be infertile.
Aquafinatic

Post by Aquafinatic »

corywink wrote:......from my experience, a cory spawning session lasts a few hours, it's ok to retrieve the eggs during the spawning session if you're afraid they will be eaten. They'll get scared for a few minutes but will resume spawning. I do this with my pandas because they are vigorous egg eaters!

......each spawning session lasts for a few hours, and then a few days later they will spawn again. For me, this spawning period lasts for about 1-2 months then they will stop, or the majority of the eggs will be infertile.
Thanks, corywink... this is very helpful. I do realize that each of our C. species is going to be somewhat different, but it's nice to have a general guideline -- something to use as a starting point. I WAS ALSO WONDERING about egg-collecting, and it is good to see that you are able to collect eggs, and that yours WILL resume spawning. Based upon that, I will try that when the time comes, just to see how mine react. I have noticed that some of my corys are 'skittish', while others seems to be willing to have my fingers just an inch or two away, while I'm cleaning their tank, for example. Be well!
inkyjenn
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 1: so cal
Location 2: u.s.a.
Interests: fish, art, reading

Post by inkyjenn »

corycrazy wrote:I agree all corys are different, i'm relative new to corys and have only kept them since last september,within a week my trilineatus had started spawning,they only give a few eggs,the most being around 16 eggs ,within 3-4 hours i then remove them (after playing hunt the eggs) when they've stopped quivering and racing around the tank :lol:
ive noticed this too. but then, ive also noticed that these guys dont seem to be as interested in eating their eggs as say peppered cories
25 gallon red cherry shrimp only tank
29 gallon green spotted puffer tank
55 community tank
75 monster tank
Big Mike
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: IL
Location 2: IL
Interests: Fish,football,online poker

Post by Big Mike »

Ya my Paleatus eat most of the eggs,but I do have 11 more Corys than I started with.I didnt have any plans to breed so I just left all eggs alone.It is a nice surprise to see a wee one in the tank.
Big Mike

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”