Sturisoma nigrirostrum

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ACC in NC
Location 1: North Carolina

Sturisoma nigrirostrum

Post by ACC in NC »

Does anyone here on the forum have any experiences to share and pictures of these? I’m posting a link to what I believe is a pair that I got wild from Peru.

Link >>> http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/forum/f ... -cats.html
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Sturisoma nigrirostrum

Post by Shane »

I can just confirm that your identification is correct. A short search of the forums will turn up many past threads.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
ACC in NC

Post by ACC in NC »

So no one else around here is keeping these guys???
bamboosticks
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Bradford

Post by bamboosticks »

I'd love to have them, but they're quite expensive here (50 quid a pair) and even though my LFS has exactly the pair, I'm not allowed to keep fish where I am right now. My home is Yorkshire but I have yet to see them there...
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Looks like you have a nice pair there... It is not a commonly kept fish, there are four keepers in the Cat-eLog for - there are some species with a few hundred registered keepers, so it's quite far down the list of "most kept" (I just looked it up, there are 465 species that have 5 or more keepers...

I keep another form of this genus, .

I find that most of the time when people post something like "Is anyone else keeping these?", there is usually little valuable information posted, because there is no real question that can be directly answered asked, and no one is willing to write down ALL they know about a species just in case they happen to hit what you want to know. So if you have SPECIFIC questions, please ask.

--
Mats
Stuey
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: West Yorkshire, U.K.
Location 2: West Yorkshire UK

Post by Stuey »

Hi there Bamboosticks

Which shop in Bradford has these in?

I have a great pair of Sturisoma aureum which has spawned once, I would love to get some more Sturisoma

Cheers
Stu
ACC in NC

Post by ACC in NC »

Thanks for the responses! I’ve had the Sturisoma aureum (Royal farlowella) years ago and they would lay their eggs on the front glass of the tank and the male would guard them. I would like to find out about any breeding accounts of Sturisoma nigrirostrum?
bamboosticks

Post by bamboosticks »

Whoops, I was being a bit vague. By LFS I meant the one near where I live (Oxford) at the moment. It's Maidenhead Aquatics in Oxford, I'm actually not sure they still have them, but they might. But I'm not sure you'd be willing to travel that far....but they have absolutely loads of plecos.

But West Yorkshire still has pretty good fish stores: QSS is where I first bought my fish, and Ferrybridge Aquatics has really rare stuff that pops up every now and again (esp. Corydoras). I browse on aquarist-classifieds.co.uk every now and again. There's that big fish store just outside Leeds but they don't seem to update their stock that often; certainly not as much as Ferrybridge.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Is that the Wheatley or the other[I'm not sure, but I think they call it "Hinkley interchange" or some such] MA in Oxford?

The Wheatley branch is absolutely one of the best shops in the area.

--
Mats
bamboosticks

Post by bamboosticks »

Yep, that's the one. I haven't been there in ages though. The Sturisoma were massive though - well-built and just huge; at least 6 inches. I couldn't tell whether it was a male-female pair (assuming they're still there). But the first time I went there I was like - wow.
ACC in NC

Post by ACC in NC »

bamboosticks wrote:Yep, that's the one. I haven't been there in ages though. The Sturisoma were massive though - well-built and just huge; at least 6 inches. I couldn't tell whether it was a male-female pair (assuming they're still there). But the first time I went there I was like - wow.
The pair I have are huge! 9 inches plus.
hotplecogirl
Location 2: Boston,USA

Post by hotplecogirl »

I do not keep these but i am trying to breed sturisoma robustum which are also very large like yours.
ACC in NC

Post by ACC in NC »

hotplecogirl wrote:I do not keep these but i am trying to breed sturisoma robustum which are also very large like yours.
I found a few pictures on the net of the robustum and they look just like the nigrirostrum.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

ACC in NC,

Have you read the information in Catfish Atlas I?

It's published in English now.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”