If not a Channel Cat, then what?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Timberwolf
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Lake Oswego, OR, USA
Interests: Aquaria, cars, planes, sailboats (SOMEDAY!)

If not a Channel Cat, then what?

Post by Timberwolf »

I have a new cat that we pulled out of the Yakima River yesterday that has us a little confused. Everything about it says that says Channel Cat, but everything I've read about them shows a deeply forked caudal fin, which he does not nave any sign of. he is now only about 3 inches long and enjoying the dense growth in my 37 gallon Eclipse tank, until I can set up a more appropriately sized tank, or maybe even a pond for him. He seems to love Tetramin granules and bloodworms (freeze-dried), so feeding him is not an issue in any way. Are the caudal forks something that are likely to develop as he matures, or do I have something else altogether? I will post a picture or two as soon as he comes back into the open.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: If not a Channel Cat, then what?

Post by MatsP »

Sounds like it may be another ...

--
Mats
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

There are only three species of bullheads (black, brown, yellow) found in the Columbia River drainage besides the channel catfish. If your fish doesn't otherwise look like a bullhead, I'd say you probably had an aberrant channel cat.
Timberwolf
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Lake Oswego, OR, USA
Interests: Aquaria, cars, planes, sailboats (SOMEDAY!)

Post by Timberwolf »

I figured it out (thanks, of course, to MatsP and Silurus)! My "Channel Cat" is, instead, a , or Yellow Bullhead Catfish. I've really been happy with the little guy and it looks like he won't bust out of my tanks any time soon, so now I'm even happier with him. he's found a cave that he likes right in front of the tank, so, shy or not, I can see him anytime and he seems to really like my overly-thick vegetation.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Still needs a pretty large tank - about 3ft x 6ft base area and at least 2ft tall - that's a 250 gallon tank - not small by any means.

--
Mats
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

MatsP wrote:Still needs a pretty large tank - about 3ft x 6ft base area and at least 2ft tall - that's a 250 gallon tank - not small by any means.
eventually, when adult. Mats, do you mean "ideally" or as a minimum? (yeah, I know, ideally, an Olympic size swimming pool is the best) :D
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

That would be an "adequate minimum". Obviously, nearly all fish will live in quarters much larger than the minimum, and it is sometimes possible to keep fish in somewhat smaller a tank with careful maintenance.

The rule I follow is a 4L x 2L x 2L - some people will recommend slightly smaller than that, and others will suggest much larger. This rule applies to fairly sedate fish - for very active fish, larger quarters are needed for obvious reasons.

--
Mats

Return to “What is my catfish?”