I am confused RE:L201

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
huffmagx
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Auburn, Ga

I am confused RE:L201

Post by huffmagx »

Ok here's the scoop I bought some really beautiful L201's and they are supposed to be an as yet un named variety not inspector or contradens.
Thats fine and dandy they are beautiful and healthy and I love them but I really don't understand what makes one L201 an "inspector" and one an " contradens" or something else. I know in some L # it is the size of the spots between juvenile and adult that can make the difference.

See I am confused? Can anyone clear it up for me? Or maybe point me to the right reading material? ( Yeah I googled it! How do you think I got here, LOL)

I have attached a picture of my L201s babies.
L201 Babies
L201 Babies
[Mod edit: Removed unnecessary large text formatting --Mats]
plecoboy
My cats species list: 9 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:63)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: De Pere, WI
Interests: plecos

Re: I am confused RE:L201

Post by plecoboy »

Well the name Hypancistrus inspector was applied to the L201 label, but upon further review, the actual inspector fish was L102. So inspector no longer applies to the L201 label.

Hypancistrus Contradens is a "variant" of the L201 type which has larger spots and overall is a larger fish.

There is some debate as some people state their L201s have orange spots and others say theirs have white spots. There may be alot of variation depending on where they are collected.
Breeding List: L46,L66,L129,L136a,L183,L201,L260,L270,L333,L340,L400,L411, and Lower Rio Xingus
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

They are two separate species each scientifically described that often get confused.

As far as more variants of one or the other...this could be possible, one of the pleco guys could clarify that or not...sometimes it is creative sales by shippers.

Birger
Birger
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

, , and are three "different" types of fish that are often confused. It doesn't help that sellers continue to label fish with multiple names, and misidentification by online dealers is probably why I have yet to buy these fish.

H. inspector is extremely different from both contradens and L201 (and in fact is fairly different from all Hypancistrus) and is very rare in the trade. These fish have large eyes, a large maximum body size, black edges to their fins, their dorsal fin does not come in contact with their adipose fine, and the white spots on the head are smaller than on the body.

H. contradens, by contrast, is a smaller fish, has large white spots that are about the same size all over the body, and its dorsal fin does come in contact with its adipose fin.

L201 can be very difficult to differentiate from H. contradens. It is unknown whether or not it truly represents a different species from H. contradens. Supposedly, these fish are distinguished from H. contradens by smaller spots, a less broad and shallower body form, and a shorter head. L201 and H. contradens are likely even more difficult to distinguish when smaller; this is generally the case for a lot of Hypancistrus species.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
huffmagx

Post by huffmagx »

Thanks for all the replies all! I am still confused but your responses have helped. I purchased these particular fish from a very good guy ( I don't know him personally but he comes highly recommended )

He said that Ingo Seidel ( again don't know him but I think he has a reputation in the catfish world) has seen these particular fish in person and says they are neither of the contradens or inspector variety.

I think they are just one of the cutest little things well besides the zebras that I can't afford but would love too have of course!!!

I am afraid I am hooked on these lovely little bottom dwellers or " dot heads" as I have affectionately started to call them, LOL.
huffmagx

Post by huffmagx »

Thank you for all the replies they have helped although I am still not sure exactly what I have in my tanks. I do love the little boogers however!!

When I feed I always look for the little "dot heads" as I affectionately call them to come out and get a nibble. They tend to hide most of the time and are not nearly as active as lf albino bristle-noses.

I will watch as they grow to see if I can tell about the finnage and color as one of you suggested perhaps that will settle it for me.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Thank you for all the replies they have helped although I am still not sure exactly what I have in my tanks.
Over 95% of the black with white/yellow spots in the trade are .

I am pretty sure this is what you have, and as the previous posters have pointed out, they are different to and .

Yours are certainly not .

Oh, and nice job breeding them :thumbsup:
huffmagx

Post by huffmagx »

racoll wrote:
Thank you for all the replies they have helped although I am still not sure exactly what I have in my tanks.
Over 95% of the black with white/yellow spots in the trade are .

I am pretty sure this is what you have, and as the previous posters have pointed out, they are different to and .

Yours are certainly not .

Oh, and nice job breeding them :thumbsup:

I can't take credit for breeding them I just bought them. I hope to have a breeding group when they mature a bit and continue the line. I think they are beautiful. I have 3 from 1 set of parents and 3 from another so I have some genetic diversity.

I want to learn as much as I can about them and keep them happy! I'd love to see a spawn of my own... the gentleman I bought them from said his pairs are very reliable spawners but he is obviously an expert and takes very good care of his fish. I want to too!!

[Mod edit: Remove "extra large text" setting - I don't think that is necessary --Mats]

Return to “What is my catfish?”