Sexing Callichthys?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Sexing Callichthys?

Post by Carp37 »

3 years ago, I got 4 juvenile Callichthys callichthys from PC user Hoplo- these were between 3"-3.75" TL. One very quickly developed "ski-jump", thickened, orange-coloured pectoral spines, so I was pretty sure that one was male. The remaining three had shorter, less thickened pectoral spines lacking the orange colour, and were noticeably fatter around the abdomen, so I was pretty sure they were female. The male also had a noticeable orange cast to its head region around the gills and underside.

After two year there hadn't been much change in the characteristics of these fish, but during the last year, the presumed "female" fish seem to have developed into males, or at least have become thinner, and have developed elongated, orange, thickened pectoral spines. They haven't grown noticeably during this time- they're a little over 7" TL/6" SL.

My question is, are some males late developers? Or do females develop the thickened pectoral spines later in life? I'm not aware that any callichthyids change sex, so I'm a little puzzled. I don't have any recent pictures of them, but the pictures below are from a little under a year ago.

The pictures above are of a presumed female from last Autumn (so over two years old). The picture below is of the "male"

Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Sexing Callichthys?

Post by MatsP »

Looks like your pictures show a female (upper two pictures) and a male (lower picture) to me. But I've not kept these for very long - it's one of my "cursed" fish...

--
Mats
PeterUK
My cats species list: 10 (i:1, k:0)
Location 2: Bexley

Post by PeterUK »

The last picture doesnt look very 'male' like to me.
The pectoral spines on the males that I've seen and kept are much thicker and a deeper orange colour.

Photo of my young male approx 1 year old.

Everything we do echo's in Eternity
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

Thanks Mats, Peter- I was pretty sure the top fish was a female when the picture was taken (the fish being at an age of 2 years 4-6 months), but now they look as male as the fish in the bottom picture except for the orange colouration round the bottom of the fish, which Peter's male is also showing... :oops:
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
PeterUK
My cats species list: 10 (i:1, k:0)
Location 2: Bexley

Post by PeterUK »

Also noticed today while doing a tank cleanup, the males whole pectoral fin is almost as orange as the thick pectoral spine.
Looks very nice, especially when looked at from above on grey sand. :thumbsup:
Everything we do echo's in Eternity
hoplo
My images: 4
My cats species list: 31 (i:9, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:35)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: South Yorkshire
Location 2: South Yorkshire, UK
Interests: Breeding Tropical Fish

Post by hoplo »

Hi Stuart,

If you can get a picture of them now i will sex them for you.

Here's a picture of their Mum and Dad
bamboosticks
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Bradford

Post by bamboosticks »

I have a pair, the male is so red; what does this mean?
hoplo

Post by hoplo »

bamboosticks wrote:I have a pair, the male is so red; what does this mean?
is it a very deep orange on the underneath of him (chest/belly)? if so it means he is wanting to breed, hes in breed condition.
bamboosticks

Post by bamboosticks »

LOL, that's right - he's as red as a tomato. I'm beginning to get the feeling that occasions of Callichthydae breedings are a sort of sesquipedalian relation of buses - you wait for one and not two, but three (might) happen.

I think the male is a bit aggressive - my female initially had a torn dorsal fin, and I also found that a Seussi had a nipped fin. As it happens, there's an air stone in the tank he inhabits, so I don't think I'll be seeing any bubble-nests any time soon.

More on him - he's absolutely the biggest fish I've ever kept, and the first to actually escape a fish net! A powerful beast. And completely un-spookable.

What should I do? Should I try to breed him? Incidentally, I've got a 4 ft tank split into 3, the middle compartment of which is inhabited by the aforementioned, one of which has had a spawn of Corydoras, and one of which is a sort of growing tank for some Congo tetras I bought for - get this - a quid each. I haven't put them in my main tank, because of a very big Microglanis for whom, I suspect, I have bought the most expensive meal ever - 20 pounds worth of Yunnanilus.
MattP
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Warrington, Cheshire, UK

Post by MattP »

I got the same deal on the congo's; were they from a particularly well known pet/aquatics chain? These are a steal at this price and growing very quickly.

Cheers Matt
bamboosticks

Post by bamboosticks »

It was Pets at home.
hoplo

Post by hoplo »

you dont need to breed him if you dont want to he will be ok, if you want to try just put a lid in for him and see what happens.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”