Best way to grow out bristlenose fry

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Best way to grow out bristlenose fry

Post by Taratron »

So I currently have a 20 gallon filled with bristlenose fry at about one inch each. At least 30 or more, so you can imagine how many water changes I have to do to keep the bad stuff at bay.

I want to set up a grow-out tank for these fry, as well as the two clutches/drops I have in two other tanks.

Since I can't set up a trough or anything large, what will be the best and cheapest way to grow the babies out to at least 2 inches to where pet stores will take them? I do have a 55 gallon tank with some L201s that can be moved to the 20 gallon for now if that would work.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Best way to grow out bristlenose fry

Post by MatsP »

First I'd like to question the 2" that shops will take - I find that my LFS takes them at about 1" - sure, the bigger ones get a bit more money, but it's not really worth the extra effort of growing them out.

But yes, a bigger tank will certainly help - you still need to do frequent water changes, but you have a bit more margin for error.

--
Mats
PeterUK
My cats species list: 10 (i:1, k:0)
Location 2: Bexley

Post by PeterUK »

At least 30 or more, so you can imagine how many water changes I have to do to keep the bad stuff at bay.
I have approx 200-300 BN fry from 1/2 in to 1 1/2in in a 15 gallon (two lots in 2 tanks, probably totalling 400-500 fry),
I do a 75% water change every other day (sometimes every 3rd day depending on work) This is the 3rd such amount of fry that I have raised in these tanks without any problems.
I keep them in a bare tank with a piece of bogwood and a few terracotta saucers/pots, filtration is by a 380Lph sponge filter.
Everything we do echo's in Eternity
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

I had my whole colony in a 40 gal. 5 adults and approximately 50 or 75 or more babies at all times.

I changed 50% every other day or 3rd day.

My LFS took them at all sizes but of course wanted them bigger and I could never part with them before 1.5 inches, just didn't feel they were ready for the harshness of fish store till then. sometimes i kept them even longer.

I had to stop doing it I got too attached. and it was mighty hard work. since i had other tanks to care for.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”