Cory ID please

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Sparx
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Indonesia

Cory ID please

Post by Sparx »

I've just bought 2 pairs of Corydoras yesterday. The LFS didnt specify what kind of Cory these are, they just sold them as Corydoras. So I've done a bit of research and this is what I think they are. However, I'm not 100% sure so can anyone please confirm it?

1. Corydoras xinguensis

2. Corydoras latus

Are they correct? Thanks in advance. :)O
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cory ID please

Post by Silurus »

Your first fish looks like and your second fish is .
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

The first one is too snouty to be C. trilineatus. It is something from the C. leopardus-group (leopardus, C102, gomezi). Wich species I can't tell for shure.

The other one is probably a Brochis but it looks a bit snouty for a splendens. Usually "latus" is a trade name for C. pantanalensis, but the dorsal fin does look too long to be a Corydoras.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
Sparx
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Indonesia

Post by Sparx »

Thanks for the reply. I agree with Silurus that the second pic is a Brochis splendens. However, I doubt if the first pic is a C. trilineatus as it has no trace of any reticulated color patterning on the head. I agree with Kim M that the specimen is too snouty, but it is not from C. leopardus group either because my specimen is a lot more spotty. I just guess it's a mix between C. xinguensis with C. acutus for the snout :P , just imagination.

Anyway, here are 2 more pictures of it. Note that it is more than 6 cm (SL) long (6cm and 3mm actually - I missed the snout on this pic). All species that have been mentioned here are all about 6 cm max length(SL) except C. leopardus, mine is bigger 3mm. Unless I got a Jumbo specimen?

The second picture is a close up of the snout.

And here's another specimen:

It's another specimen with less spotty and 5,4cm long.

Actually Kim M, I can't manage to trust the dealer as they say the Brochi is a Corydoras talbama, and the other is named as Mixed Corydoras.

Return to “What is my catfish?”