What kind of bottom feeders to get?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
pmnovak1
Location 1: Chicago, IL

What kind of bottom feeders to get?

Post by pmnovak1 »

I have a 55 gallon tank with medium fish in it. I have some angels, silver dollars, gourami's in the middle and top.

At the bottom, I currently have a Leopard Pleco, a four-lined Cat, and a Peacock Spiny Eel.

I'm looking for 1 or 2 bottom feeder fish that will eat left-overs on the bottom. It seems that my only choices are Cory's and Loaches that only get 2" long and will act as feeder fish for the cat and eel, or larger fish which grow 10-15" like Clown Loaches.

Does anyone know of any bottom feeders that will not be problematic which are 5-6" long and can hold there own?

I wasn't sure which area to put this in, so I put it here.

Thanks,

Paul
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Isn't the four-lined cat already a bottom feeder? Seems that you have enough bottom feeders already there to take care of sinking food.
pmnovak1

Post by pmnovak1 »

He does eat off the bottom, but doesn't really take care of leftovers. From what I've seen, he seems to like bloodworms and such. Doesn't go for the sinking pellets or flakes that fall.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

It's a little strange that your four-lined cat will not touch prepared foods. Mine will eat pellets readily, even flakes.
One thing you can try is to wean your fish off of bloodworms (may be difficult to do that with a spiny eel in there).
If not, you can always try a talking cat, although I think that adding one more fish in there may be straining tank space somewhat.
pmnovak1

Post by pmnovak1 »

Really....he'll eat shrimp pellets and flakes. I've only had him in the tank for about 2 weeks, so he might still be a little stressed out and weary.

He has been opening up a little more the past few days, so maybe he'll start eating those as well. We'll see.

You think the tank won't be able to sustain more fish? I was thinking that adding 2 more wouldn't hurt.

Here's what I have:

55 gallon
2 Angels
3 Silver Dollars
2 Blue Gourami
1 Four lined cat
1 Leopard Pleco
1 Peacock Eel
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Well, given that your leopard pleco can reach 10" and your peacock eel 15", I don't think it's a good idea to add more bottom dwellers.
pmnovak1

Post by pmnovak1 »

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to keep up with my weekly vacuums/cleaning.

Return to “Tank Talk”