Aquajardin Southampton -Catfish stock

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
pez gato
Location 2: Hampshire, UK

Aquajardin Southampton -Catfish stock

Post by pez gato »

I mentioned in another topic that I just found out this shop stocks lots of catfish species. Someone requested to open a topic listing the species they have. So, I went back today with a notebook and listed their catfish stock. Here it goes:
L141 whitefin pleco Anastomus snethlagacea
L14 Sunshine pleco Scobiancistrus aureatus
LDA33 Snowball pleckolita Lepoanthicus joselimae
L18/81 gold nugget pleco Brachyancistrus sp
L239 Colombian blue panaque Ancistrus sp
L200 green phantom pleco Chaetostoma sp
L240 galaxias pleco Leporacanthius galaxias
L47 Mango pleco Brachyancistrus sp
L264 Tapajos white fin pleco Lepoacanthicus joselimae
L75 spotted para pleco Parancystrus sp
L124 para pleco peckoltia sabaji
L340 imperial pleco Hyancistrus sp
L34 bushmouth pleco ancystrus ranuclus
L155 adonis pleco acanthius adonis
L201 sunset orinoco pleco Hyancistrus inspector
LD47 scoobidoo pleco scobiancistrus parisolapsis
L146 Thomasi rubbernose Chaetostoma thomasi
Bijn
My images: 28
My cats species list: 23 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 2: Belgium (Kortrijk)

Re: Aquajardin Southampton -Catfish stock

Post by Bijn »

no non-sucker-cats?
pez gato

Post by pez gato »

CONTINUED

Corydoras axeldrodi
C. pygmaeus
C. deckeri
C. trliniatus
C. metae
C. melini
C. arcuatus
C. rabauti
Brochis multiradiatus
B. splendeus
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

no REAL catfish?

as in "CAT" fish.....the nocturnal whiskery denizens of the dark and murky waters that softly growl in the night...

typical stocklist; could be any Dutch LFS.

same same.
Valar Morghulis
pez gato

Post by pez gato »

CONTINUED

Ogre catfish asterophyus batrachus
irwin's megalodoras Megalodoras uranoscopus
Peruvian galaxias pleco Plecostomus sp
mustard spot pleco panaque albomaculatus
Pimelodus pictus
Bumblebee catfish microglanis iheringi
filamentosus whiptail lamotichthys filamentosus
Clown peckoltia Peckoltia vittata
Ancistrus sp
Tiger shovelnose catfish Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum
Lepoacanthicus joselimae
royal sturisoma Sturisoma aureum
stripped talking catfish kryptopterus bicirrhis
rubbernose pleco chaetostoma sp
twig catfish farlowella acus
pez gato

Post by pez gato »

CONTINUED

Synodontis angelicus
S. eupterus
S. brichardi
S. alberti
S. flavitaeniatus
S. decora

AND THAT'S IT!!!
pez gato

Post by pez gato »

sidguppy wrote:no REAL catfish?

as in "CAT" fish.....the nocturnal whiskery denizens of the dark and murky waters that softly growl in the night...

typical stocklist; could be any Dutch LFS.

same same.
Pacience is a virtue....I am watching the Arsenal game and am not good at multitasking :lol:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I was there last week, and they had a nice selection, but some of the labeling is WAY off, and others are "not quite right" - they are by far not all wrong, but one clear one is the "Clown peckoltia", which absolutely is wrong: it is - it was correctly priced for what is was, so it's a small grumble.

The S. alberti (£9.95) and S. decora (£16.95) were nice fish at reasonable prices [from memory].

There were several black plecos with white spots, and I'm far from convinced they were all the right species. The large male was certainly correct and a nice specimen.

There was a tank [top left as you enter the fishroom] with some small black with white spots - apparently bred in Singapore, the staff said it was L240, but I couldn't see the "hook" on the head. I think they are likely to be either Hypancistrus or Panaque species.

You can just about see the "hump" on the picture of eleven week old fish. I'm sure the fish in the shop were more than 11 weeks old...

Please do not take this as "the shop is rubbish". Almost all shops have fish that are mislabeled at times - and MOST of them were actually correctly labeled.

The fish overall looked healthy, which is always a good thing.

--
Mats
pez gato

Post by pez gato »

@ matsP - well, I am not an expert - hopefully I will be one day :roll: I just had never seen so many different catfish species stocked at the same time in one shop. I spoke to one of the members of the staff and he told me that the manager was a catfish fan and he tried to get as many catfish as possible - including some rare species - so I thought I would make a list and hopefully it would be interesting to someone.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Oh yes, it's definitely a well-stocked shop, and many of them quite unusual fish.

--
Mats
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Aquajardin is my favourite LFS by a country mile, their "leftfield" stocking really grabbed my attention when trying to decide what route to go with when I had my Rio240 back in March (since then I have bought four other tanks, including a 540l). Sam, the manager, has been a great source of fish provoking thoughts for me! :lol:

My trio of Synodontis brichardi and two Hypoptopoma inexspectatum came from there, as did most of the other fish in my signiture. I agree that some of the labels have some questionable info on them, my H. inexspectatum being a classic case (labelled as "Giant Otos" Otocinclus gigantes!) I've also seen Rosy Loach ("Tuberoschistura arakanensis" although a false scientific name) with a max size of 8cm when they actually do well to reach 2.5cm, plus Nanochromis parilus mislabelled as Nanochromis nudiceps! :lol:

However, their niche stocking is an "Alladins cave" and it is often worth looking at a tank several times, as so often they have rare/unusual fish in tanks with no label to show their presence eg. Apistogramma "steel blue"; my Gymnochanda filamentosa; one of my Steatocranus casuarius (now a mum of ~12, 2-month old fry).

Funny you should mention those "Clown Peckoltias" as I've been looking at them for weeks now, having learnt that Candy Striped Catfish and Panaque maccus for a start are very similar to Peckoltia vittata.

Have you spotted that gorgeous little striped catfish in with the Synodontis brichardi? Again, it could easily be one of the above "Clown Peckoltia"-esque catfish.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

N0body Of The Goat wrote:Funny you should mention those "Clown Peckoltias" as I've been looking at them for weeks now, having learnt that Candy Striped Catfish and Panaque maccus for a start are very similar to Peckoltia vittata.
Well, that obviously depends on who you talk to, and what references you use. It is indeed so that the picture in Beansch Aquarium Atlas is showing a picture of and the caption says . And commonly both these fish are called "Clown pleco" for this reason. However, being a bit blunt, you'd have to have pretty poor vision to confuse the two:
Panaque maccus
Peckoltia vittata
Have you spotted that gorgeous little striped catfish in with the Synodontis brichardi? Again, it could easily be one of the above "Clown Peckoltia"-esque catfish.
I'm not sure I saw that one - I certainly don't remember it... Could of course be something that arrived since I was there... Or gone by that time, if it was there earlier...

--
Mats
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

@ pez gato - thanks for posting - i love seeing what is around (whether correctly labelled or not) :thumbsup:
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

I shall take my Veho Muvi mini-camcorder with me on my next visit (for shots of that catfish in with S. brichardi, if its now been snapped up, given its vibrant candy stripes in a bare QT tank), almost certainly between now and the weekend, as they are just ten minutes away and it has been about two weeks since my last visit! :lol:
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
RIPbiglad
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Sheffield, UK

Post by RIPbiglad »

thanks for taking the time to post the list. Wish it was closer to me I would have made a visit. Have to get our lass to agree to a holiday next year down that way
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

RIPbiglad: However, you are about 63 miles from Wigan and Pier Aquatics, which is another great place for fish of all kinds.

--
Mats

Return to “Speak Easy”