The final straw.

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Re: The final straw.

Post by L number Banana »

That is not Alex but it certainly is the only Dude in existence...
Whew, I thought sidguppy had gone to a whacked-out Mr.Rogers kind of reality...
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
grokefish
My images: 3
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Strangely though, my (perhaps erroneous) impression of a non-native speaker is that people (americans?) would often lump both sexes together in "you guys", as odd as it still sounds to my ear, but almost never or just never in "you dudes". Maybe a US thing too - don't know how it is in UK, Australia, or South Africa, etc.
This comes from the fact that the modern English language lacks a second person plural form of address even though we need/want one. "Technically" you is plural and thou is singular, but no one speaks this way anymore.

Since English lacks this form we often come up with regional ways to express second person plural. Some of the common forms are:
You guys (most widely used)
you'uns (US south)
ya'll (US south)
all ya'll (Texas, one of my favorites)
Youse (rhymes with "news")(Scotland, UK)
Youse guys (New York)

I mostly heard South Africans use "you people," which I found mildly offensive as it sounds like an accusation to me.

Dude, since I am from the west, refers to someone from the city that is unfamiliar with country life, and more specifically, does not know how to ride a horse.

So as to not totally get off topic, I am sorry to hear about your fish loss.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I mess up virtually a lot. :ymblushing: Going gender neutral just seems so wrong.

I stick with my original sentiment. We all go through tough times. Take a step back! Remember why you got into this in the first place and look to the Big Lebowski for some serious laughs.
Amanda
grokefish
My images: 3
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

Shane wrote: So as to not totally get off topic, I am sorry to hear about your fish loss.
-Shane
lol, cool.

This si speak easy and I for one am better educated by your post.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Shane wrote:This comes from the fact that the modern English language lacks a second person plural form of address even though we need/want one. "Technically" you is plural and thou is singular, but no one speaks this way anymore. Since English lacks this form we often come up with regional ways to express second person plural. Some of the common forms are:
You guys (most widely used)
you'uns (US south)
ya'll (US south)
all ya'll (Texas, one of my favorites)
Youse (rhymes with "news")(Scotland, UK)
Youse guys (New York)
I mostly heard South Africans use "you people," which I found mildly offensive as it sounds like an accusation to me.
Dude, since I am from the west, refers to someone from the city that is unfamiliar with country life, and more specifically, does not know how to ride a horse.
sidguppy wrote:there's only one dude, dude and this is him:
grokefish wrote:I am aware of the mentioned members genders dude, I call everyone dude, even my mother. This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dude Made me chuckle.
...and the education of the linguistically- and culturally-challenged me goes on...

Good ones, youse'all guys-dudes-people!

[Mod edit: Clean up URL link that got messed up --Mats]
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 12 Nov 2010, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

bronzefry wrote:I mess up virtually a lot. :ymblushing: Going gender neutral just seems so wrong. I stick with my original sentiment. We all go through tough times. Take a step back! Remember why you got into this in the first place and look to the Big Lebowski for some serious laughs. Amanda
Well, at least you sign with your, likely, real name, which gives away your gender with, hmmm, roughly 95% probability these days? The funny thing I remembered is that when I was in grad school at Bowling Green State University, Ohio, USA in the late 90-ies, we had a post-doc in our group from Bangladesh, a real nice, sweet guy, whose name was Ananda Sarker. The smart people at the local telephone authority GTE decided he did not know how to spell his name right, so he was featured as Amanda Sarker in the local phone books...
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Speak Easy”