Banjo Catfish in a 40gal.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Kestrix
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Oregon, USA

Banjo Catfish in a 40gal.

Post by Kestrix »

Well after a recommendation from my doctor, I'm getting a 40 gallon fish tank for Christmas. What I really want to get in there is a Banjo Catfish. Is this tank to small for one? I do have a 55 gallon tank though it isn't up in running. (Though it should be within a year. Waiting on repainting/reflooring the room it is in.) The only other things that might go in there is part of my Corydoras (I have several species throughout several tanks.) though they'll most likely end up in the 55 gallon eventually. Would Dwarf Gouramis or Paradise fish be an acceptable tank mate?

Also would Tahitian Moon Sand be appropriate for them? I have a 28g that's being set with it and it looks lovely. I do know where I can get some black quartz sand though I thought it felt rather rough to me. And anything else a banjo would like? Specific foods? I currently keep Sera and Omega brand fish foods, live flightless fruitflies, frozen blood worms, and black worms on hand. I have been meaning to start a vermiculture outside, so I could have earthworms as well.

My tap water runs about an 8ph (varies sometimes during flooding), but I keep more Cories between 6.5 and 7. (I don't remember what the last test results were as I misplaced my Masters kit and haven't been able to get a new one yet.) I lower the pH in my cory tanks with driftwood and drinking water. (the large jugs that come from water cooler companies; they send me more than I'll ever actually use.) I also have Indian Almond Leaves hanging around to help.

Thanks for your help. I just really want a Banjo, and everything will be suited around this little darling's needs.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Banjo Catfish in a 40gal.

Post by Silurus »

Banjo cats don't move around that much, so a 40-gallon should be fine.

You also don't really need dark sand. They are just as happy on regular-colored sand.

Feeding shouldn't be much of a problem. They'll readily take all manner of live and frozen food, and sinking pellets. Just make sure the tankmates are not too active, lest they finish all the food before the banjo cat(s) can get to it.
Kestrix

Post by Kestrix »

Ah, well I do have a ton of play sand, not sure why as I don't have kids, so I could use that. Would hand/target feeding be helpful with the Banjo? I have a smaller tank with African Dwarf Frogs that require hand feeding, as well as some bettas that are on a diet.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Kestrix wrote:Would hand/target feeding be helpful with the Banjo? I have a smaller tank with African Dwarf Frogs that require hand feeding, as well as some bettas that are on a diet.
No need with Banjos, they'll shuffle their way out of wherever they are tucked as soon as they smell something good. They'll also fill their bellies to bursting given the chance.
kizno1
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Norfolk, England
Interests: Fish keeping and fishing

Post by kizno1 »

Aslong as you turn the lights off after putting some food in the Banjos should have no problem. Ive got 2 in a 30G (There going into a 150G soon) There in with 3 BNs + loads of fry and they always mange to have to get enough food. Although i think part of that is from eating the eggs and fry.
Kestrix

Post by Kestrix »

Thanks for the help. I do have one more question. I like to do Moonlight/Nocturnal Lights for my tanks and I want to know what color would be best for the Banjo, blue, white, or red? Just starting to learn how to wire LEDs (For toys, which is quite a bit different than a fish tank) and I might make my own set.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

I prefer blue over red because it looks more natural. Imo blue is also a quieter colour to look at. I have no experience with white; but it'll probably be too sharp for catfishes(?).

These lights are very affordable these days, so you may want to check the net before making something yourself. Unless you like doing so of course.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I have mine in a 15 gallon species tank. They need a lot of places to hide. You may not see them for days, then they suddenly appear. I tried the moonlight thing with them. I was up at all hours and I wanted to watch them. When they get comfy and come out to play, they are amusing.
Amanda
Kestrix

Post by Kestrix »

Would Celestial Pearl Danios be too small to share a tank with the Banjos?

This almost makes me want to take University Ceramics again just so I can make my own caves for the fish.
atharrison21
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Charleston, SC, United States

Post by atharrison21 »

The danios will be fine. Most Banjo catfish wont actively hunt fish or even pounce on ones that get close. The only banjos that are any worry are the Platystacus cotylephorus (eel tail mottled banjo catfish) they grow to over a foot so theyll take fish.

But you'll probably have a Bunocephalus so everything will be ok especially if you keep them plump with food.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”