DIY power sponge filters for your Pleco tanks

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

DIY power sponge filters for your Pleco tanks

Post by apistomaster »

Thought I would introduce pc members to my new design for power head driven sponge filters. I have been using these for 2 years and they have been time and work savers for me.

The typical sponges filters used are fine pored and when used with a power head they soon fill up with very fine debris which eventually slows the flow through the sponge so much that the vacuum collapses the sponge and they are all but impossible to reuse as power head driven sponge filters again although if cleaned well the OEM sponges may be reused on air lift driven sponge filters.

My standard filter is the Azoo Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter #6.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... 41&catid=3
I use 2 per tank sizes 20 to 40 gallons. One is used with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) fine sponge and is driven by the supplied airlift system.
I use these filters instead of the equivalent HydroSponge IV because the Azoo #6 filter fits directly to the short, tapered extension tubes which come with every MaxiJet Power Head model No.s 400, 600 and 900 which reduces the over all size. I use the model 600 which is rated at a flow of 600 lph/160gph which is plenty of flow for tanks up to 40 gallon breeders.
The powered sponge filter is based on the Bio-Filter #6 frame but I use an open cell structure foam specifically made for aquaculture use and it has 20 pores per inch/2.54 cm. This foam is the same coarse foam that is used in Fluval canister filters except I buy it in a bulk sheet, 1 X 24 X 72 inches.
It is certified safe for fish. No flame retardant or mold resistant chemicals are contained in this filter foam.
One sheet may be cut into 18 pieces 4 X 24 inches; enough for 18 powered sponge filters.
This sheet of foam is sold by aquaticeco.com, product information may be viewed here: http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... eticulated
This foam works better as it accumulates some debris as all filters do but it will not collapse easily and it is very easily cleaned by rinsing or if like me you are in a hurry, you can blast the dirt out of the foam by using a garden hose nozzle. Here is a photo of one of the strips of filter foam ready for use. This foam is reusable for an indefinite period of time.

The key to what makes these filters so practical is the use of 2-16 inch releasable cable ties. They are reusable for an indefinite period of time I looked far and wide but ultimately I only found them at ULINE.com. Catalog number S-11159NAT

Costs:
A MaxiJet power Head model 600 may be found on sale for about $22.
One 1 X 24 X 72 inch sheet runs $48.00
The 18 sheets/18 filter foams work out to about $2.75 each.
Each OEM equipped Azoo Oxygen plus Bio-Filter #6 run $9.40 each with a fine foam supplied.
The two releasable cable ties cost about $0.20 each X 2 per filter = $0.40/filter.
Here is an assembled power head open cell foam filter. I keep a few extras on hand to speed up routine maintenance.

These are really nice filters for pleco tanks where sometimes a lot of detritus is generated quickly and where you can use all the filtration and water circulation you can get. I normally use mine laid horizontally so the flow is directed across the bottom and it also keeps the power head submerged during 75% water changes. The power heads also have a Venturi Effect aeration feature for those who choose to have additional aeration.
I have been very pleased with how well these filters work. I do use one set up with the OEM fine sponge and running off the airlift for "polishing" the water and additional aeration. Everything is reusable and the only limiting factor is how long the power head lasts. Often it only takes a new $2.75 replacement impeller to get one back up and running but the power head is a machine and therefore can break down eventually but many last 5 to 10 years.
This long life cycle because all the components but the power head last indefinitely you quickly recoup your initial investments.
Each completed filter costs about $33. The only part that can wear out is the power head. Most power heads will last more than 5 years at the least.
If you keep Panaque species you will really appreciate how well these powered sponge filters work but I use them in all my Discus, plecos and fry grow out tanks.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
wrasse
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Re: DIY power sponge filters for your Pleco tanks

Post by wrasse »

Thanks for this Larry... I've just bought 6 of these weighted sponge filters, they are very good but the sponges supplied are too dense for my liking.
Your idea is a nice and simple modification
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

I'm pleased you found my solution to my problems with denser foam filters useful.
It has worked so well for long enough for me to decide I should share this idea with my planetcatfish friends.
DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

Post by DJ-don »

cable ties!!
you are a genius larry!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

If it can't be fixed with cable ties and gaffa/duct-tape, it's not worth fixing! ;)

--
Mats
DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

Post by DJ-don »

:)) :)) :))

i've been doing larry's variation for a long time too but i never thought of cable ties in the end

glad a i saw the post
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Also note that larry is saving money (long term) by using re-usable cable ties.

--
Mats
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Thanks guys,
The real key to making these very practical is the use of the releasable cable ties. I looked far and wide for them but it turned out the source was already in my hands. I buy my thick walled small styro shiping box kits from ULINE.com and have their main catalog. They have everything related to shipping and office/warehouse supplies there is.
Getting 18 foam strips 4 X 24 inches out of one sheet of 1 X 24 X 72 inch open cell filter foam works out to exactly the right size to keep the size of the filter the same as with the OEM fine sponge yet provides enough layers to filter out fines especially as it begins to form a biofilm on the media's porous surfaces. They are effective as both mechanical and biological filtration even in fairly messy fish tanks like those Panaque spp infamously create.

Having every component standardized and reusable makes them very convenient.
My prototypes relied on some scraps of the same filter foam left over from one of my DIY wet/dry filters and the lengths varied. I also had to try the concept out with the normal, one time use cable ties and that made cleaning and reassembling them a PITA. They system I have now is one of the easiest to clean and effective of all the utilitarian fish room tank filters I have ever used. They aren't beautiful but no pedestal type sponge filter is but at least now they are all uniform so they look fine for working tanks.
In one of my particularly dirty tanks, a 40 breeder set up with my breeding group of 7 L333 Hypancistrus, there are often several hundred juveniles from those which just left the nests to some 2-3/4 inches, when i pull the filter out for cleaning it must weigh an extra pound or about 200 grams just from all the dirt it has drawn into the foam. Yet this very dirt laden strip only takes about 1 minute to clean when I unroll it and hit it with a garden hose nozzle.

One helpful hint for when you are cleaning many of them at once is to have a 2 X 4 feet piece of fluorescent light diffusing grating as your work platform. It will hold about 14-4 X 24 inch strips of foam and let you blast them all clean using the high pressure adjustment on the nozzle. The dirt is easily blown clean yet enough of a biofilm remains which is sufficient for biological filtration to immediately resume.
I can clean 14 in about 8 or 10 minutes. After cleaning the filter sponge strips it only takes a about 30 seconds to put each filter back to ready to use status.
As many of you already know about me my guiding philosophy when it comes to keeping and breeding fish is how to do ever more with ever less. Or you could say I am simply extremely lazy so if it isn't easy I don't take care of business very well.
I am either admired or hated on a popular Discus discussion board for mocking the amount of work many misguided Discus keepers put into keeping their charges but I began breeding wild Discus in 1969 when I was only 17 years old and am still doing it. Long enough to learn what is sufficient and what is superfluous. I have found many ways to go about raising Discus that require very little effort compared to what many other "experts" espouse. I already had opened my own fish shop with my parents backing when I was only 15 years old and within 2 years the shop had 80+ display tanks in the front and my huge back room quarantine and breeding area had another 100 tanks so I have had many reasons to always be trying to find easier yet just as effective ways of keeping a lot of fish and their tanks.
I continue to apply my minimalist style to my more recent involvement with breeding catfish. Catfish, most small Plecos in particular, are so much less work and easier to keep and breed than Discus.

I do doubt their safety in a shrimp breeding tank or with extremely small fish fry like those of Anabantoids or Characins but they are not a problem for the relatively large pleco fry.
Last edited by apistomaster on 20 Dec 2010, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

Larry rocks, again! :-BD

Return to “Tank Talk”