Underwater photos from Mauritius

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Underwater photos from Mauritius

Post by Carp37 »

I've just got a new computer, and whilst trawling through disks to see what software needed putting on, I found a disk with these photos from a 2000 holiday in Mauritius. The quality's a bit poor, as they were taken with a disposable underwater camera, then scanned at too low a resolution, but they give some idea of the reef life.

barracuda

black trigger

butterflyfish

Gnathodentex aureolineatus

very large trigger- lots of reef fish used to follow this around, looking for food as it lifted up rocks/coral etc.

moray eel found in a tidal pool

some form of tropical mullet- these got 3-4 feet in length

Plotosus lineatus

Scomberoides

squid

tangs

electric ray (awful picture)

trumpetfish

unicorn tang
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
Bristlenose 94
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: NJ
Location 2: USA

Re: Underwater photos from Mauritius

Post by Bristlenose 94 »

Impressive!! Wouldn't wanna get too close to that ray...
Dee
My cats species list: 10 (i:9, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Edinburgh
Interests: Falconry, owl keeping, conures, parrot keeping, guinea pigs, photography, sci-fi, b-movies, music (metal and industrial mainly but pretty eclectic), gaming

Post by Dee »

Nice pictures! It took me a second to spot the electric ray (I know, right in the middle of the picture #-O ).

Did you take these scuba diving or snorkelling? I don't know how to scuba dive yet, but I was still amazed by how much I could see just snorkelling when last on holiday near a reef.
macvsog23
Location 1: UK

Post by macvsog23 »

I am off to SEA soon and the wife wants to go diving. I can’t wait some nasty fish bites her and she has it in tears :)) :)) :)) :))
The photos are amazing.
I love the one of the CATS all in a bunch.
RickE
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Post by RickE »

I thought Mauritius was a lovely island and very nice native people. Would love to go back but I have to visit some other Indian Ocean Islands first! The trigger is Balistoides viridescens, watch out for them when they have a nest! We saw some HUGE ones in the Maldives.
Rick
Carp37

Post by Carp37 »

Dee wrote:Did you take these scuba diving or snorkelling? I don't know how to scuba dive yet, but I was still amazed by how much I could see just snorkelling when last on holiday near a reef.
These were all snorkelling- I snorkelled for two sessions each day, from one to two hours mostly (nearly four hours when I mistake of following the big mullet, then got caught in a tide rip). One of the barracuda persuaded me to stop following it one day- after a couple of minutes of lazily following it, it suddenly turned round then swam three times round me in a tight circle snapping its jaws- I took that as barracuda-speak for "leave me alone or I'll bite you!"
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
Carp37

Post by Carp37 »

macvsog23 wrote:I love the one of the CATS all in a bunch.
These were my favourite fish too (but then again they are catfish); they reminded me of baby bullhead cats in France- it took us nearly a week to find them; I can't imagine why such poisonous fish are so secretive. Then again, it was a shock to see that lionfish also hid during the day; the locals catch them at night to eat.
Carp37

Post by Carp37 »

RickE wrote:The trigger is Balistoides viridescens, watch out for them when they have a nest! We saw some HUGE ones in the Maldives.
How big do these get? This was over 1m long and we estimated 20-25 lbs. in weight. Another species of trigger gave me my only ever "help! I'm afraid of this fish!" moment when a 6-8" fish chased me for over 400 yards (mainly in circles) and over 2 minutes, trying to bite me- I'm assuming it was guarding a nest. I did try snorkelling just before dawn one day (we saw a shark in the inner reef when out walking at night) to see if anything different came round, but aside from another electric ray and a stonefish, I didn't see anything different.

Return to “Speak Easy”