Setups for L183 white seam/starlight BN plecos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mpfsr
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: ohio

Setups for L183 white seam/starlight BN plecos

Post by mpfsr »

So I have 5 of these in route to my home on tuesday or wednesday.There only 1". I have a 29g tank all set up and ready for them. I have lots of wood some bambo caves, slate caves, with a pool filter sand base. Some java moss and java ferns. i also have several Indian almond leaves in there. I think I have all my bases covered but would Like any input from anyone who has had them. I read some say to use blackwater extract but I have never used this.
Also wonder about feeding as I know they like both meat/plant matter. But would like input to what will grow them up good and healthy. my normal BN diet is cucumber/yellow zucchini every other day and once a week I give them shrimp pellets stuffed in them. Also 3-4 sinking algea pellets a week from http://www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com
Any other tips I'm an open to any advise, as you can only get so much info from books and the net. It always better to have first hand exp.

Thx, for any input \M/
smitty
My images: 3
My cats species list: 57 (i:18, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Yeadon, Pennyslvania USA
Location 2: Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Interests: Aquariums/Bicycling/Cooking

Re: Setups for L183 white seam/starlight BN plecos

Post by smitty »

Have you thought of live black worms and blood worms. Mine seem to love it along with the veggies.
150gal- No Plecos; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC P.Heads; Eheim2217, 2260
180gal- Plecos (9): L001/L022 (1M), L023, L083/L165, L137, L190, Rhino (1M, 1F), Trinidad (2); 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; Fluval FX5
210gal- Plecos (5): L014 (2), L050; 4 AC P.Filters; 2AC P.Heads; Eheim 2250,2262; Fluval FX5;
mpfsr

Post by mpfsr »

I feed live blackworms to my fish but I don't think my pleco's ever get any as my Rainbow's are way to fast and never let any fall :(. but I won't have anything in this tank but these young ones so I'll give it a go with them.
Thx for the input. Mike
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Are they locally bred and used to living in local tap-water? If not, make sure you don't change the water conditions too much - their natural habitat is VERY soft and low pH.

--
Mats
mpfsr

Post by mpfsr »

Yes matsp I have asked many questions to the seller as to how he kept his and for his water numbers. I have everything just about the same as we both get our water from the great lakes. his water is slightly lower in PH at 7.0 and mine comes from the tap at 7.3 but the wood should help that alittle. He also uses nothing but tap water. I always drip acclimate my new fish. I also moved there setup to a 40g long rather than the 29g.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'd check the GH & KH or TDS or Electical Conductivity value of the water as well - there are quite a few values that can vary between one water location and another. But if the water comes from the great lakes, I guess it would be similar (but different water supply plants may add different stuff to the tap-water for a variety of reasons - some of these may alter the pH, others don't).

Best of luck.

--
Mats
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Your set up sounds perfect, and as Mats pointed out, soft water will be important once they are grown up and old enough to spawn. One other parameter specific to blackwater Ancistrus spp is that they like warm water. I would aim for a temp between 79-81F.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Most are tank bred and they may be becoming adapted to less soft and acid water but I would still try to keep them at a pH of at least 6.0 and KH 3 with a TDS of about 50 to 60 ppm.
I would probably use 84*F rather than the lower range already suggested.
I think most stock has been bred from Rio Negro tributaries and the water in the Rio Negro basin tend to be quite warm. Heckel Discus come from this area and they do best when kept at 84*F.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
mpfsr

Post by mpfsr »

thought i would show a picture of the new little guys...Hope you like it. They are much better looking in person. :YMDAYDREAM:
Attachments
L183.JPG

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”