Coping with power-cuts

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Coping with power-cuts

Post by Linus_Cello »

Split from: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =5&t=33858
exasperatus2002 wrote:Thats sad to hear, both of your loss but that you may get out of it. They sell battery back ups, used alot for computers incase of power outtages you may want to look into. they also have battery operated air pumps (for live bait) thats handy in a pinch.
I was lucky that the power was out only intermittently during Irene, maybe a total of 6-8 hours.

I have a battery back up, and it really doesn't do much. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for one. The model I have (link below) doesn't last too long (and I only have the filters running on the battery; lights and heater on a separate powerstrip), and it makes an annoying beeping every 10 seconds when there is no electricity (running on battery). (Maybe starting the moderator could move this to a new thread?)

http://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-ES- ... uct_733724
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Coping with power-cuts

Post by MatsP »

Right, assuming you don't live in an apartment block or such, a petrol/diesel generator is the perfect solution. Of course, you need to also be HOME to get it started, or spend quite a bit on an auto-starting one.

The problem with the UPS in the link above is that it's only designed to run (at half load, 100W) for 6 minutes.

Something like this:
http://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-XS- ... uct_803761

would run for 20 minutes at "half load", but half load is 300W. So you get 3x the runtime, at 3x the power output, which means 9x longer runtime in total. Of course, it also costs 3x the money... ;)

--
Mats
Neo
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:11, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:41)
Location 1: Near Stirling in Scotland
Location 2: Stirling, Scotland
Interests: cars, martial arts, fish, guitar etc

Post by Neo »

I am wondering about this myself, as we in the winter do get the odd powercut here in scotland :P

I am thinking battery air pumps and some form of battery back up for each tank but not sure

can anyone suggest the best option and what do in case of power cut so too speak, not really exerienced one yet luckily enough but I have a lot of money worth of fish and dont want deaths or wipe out

Cant have a generator really due to my neighbours probably not being impressed with the noise lol
Lots of L046 Zebra Pleco's, L129, L199, Some cory's, some shrimps, cardinals, glass cats etc
http://zebrapleco.net
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

You can bribe the neighbours if you have a larger model generator by putting the kettle on! ;)

Ideally you want to keep your filters running. Figure out how many Watt they use, then figure out what UPS runs for how long with that wattage (and double whatever specs they give, because it's just like fule-mileage on cars [probably more loosely checked], so you better calculate a good margin).

--
Mats
Neo

Post by Neo »

Battery operated airpumps a good idea too?
Lots of L046 Zebra Pleco's, L129, L199, Some cory's, some shrimps, cardinals, glass cats etc
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

Neo wrote: Cant have a generator really due to my neighbours probably not being impressed with the noise lol
I'd rather not buy a generator either. In searching the web, I found a link (see below) that recommends the "Tripp Lite APS750 750W 12V DC to AC Inverter;" does any one have any thoughts on this piece of equipment? It seems reasonably priced at US$ 300 on Amazon (see below).

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equ ... ackup.html

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-APS750 ... B0007PGAG6
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

can anyone suggest the best option and what do in case of power cut so too speak, not really exerienced one yet luckily enough but I have a lot of money worth of fish and dont want deaths or wipe out
Something I have had lots of experience with. Power in Uganda was sometimes off more than on and South Africa had similar issues with "load shedding."

The most immediate concern during power outages is mainly a concern for people in cold climates: temperature.

Tanks can be run forever, with daily water changes, without filtration, but once the temp starts dropping, so do tropical fish. A portable propane heater would be a good back up (or immediate purchase) during an extended power outage.

Filtration really should not be a worry. A well maintained, clean, and reasonably stocked tank should can run indefinitely without filtration. Mainly filters just serve to slow water quality degradation between water changes and provide water movement to ensure adequate O2 exchange and an even temperature throughout.

My tanks in Uganda often, as in almost every week, went several days without filtration due to power loss. I never lost a fish from these (luckily heating is not an issue on the equator :d ). I just kept them lightly stocked and clean (75% water change and complete filter cleaning every Sunday). If the power was out longer than 48 hours, I would just impliment daily 25% changes until it came back on. Once again temperature is the real issue as one needs warm water to do all these water changes.

I have several battery operated airpumps that I use in the field when collecting. They are somewhat loud, but will provide many hours of water movement to keep O2 levels up. These can be found at angling stores as Live Bait Aerator Pumps for a reasonable price. They even come in large sizes that run off a car battery and could run a small fish room.
http://www.castnetworld.com/airpumps.html

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Any outage longer than six hours would result in many of my tanks having complete wipe outs.
I experience an outage about once a year that lasts 20 to 45 minutes so it is not a problem.
If I had to deal with extended and frequent outages I would have to make some drastic changes.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Shane, what stocking levels are you running on those tanks... I think there is an important factor of "how much fish you keep in a tank".

I do agree, if it's COLD (e.g. middle of the winter) and your heating is somehow reliant on electricity, you will need to sort something out with the heating too, so gas heating is definitely a good suggestion there..

--
Mats
Neo

Post by Neo »

How long would somethng like this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UPS-Battery-P ... 45f9b91a5d

or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1200VA-Uninte ... 3a5b50e35f

run an eheim 2073 and a E300 LCD heater heater for?? anyone know??
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Assuming you can use every ounce of power from the battery in the first one, it's 84Wh, which probably means about 15 minutes, maximum if you are running the heater as well.

Second one says "nearly half an hour for a desktop PC" - which probably means about 450W power consumption for half an hour - or about 45-60 minutes for your use. But it doesn't actually say the power-output for length of time.

--
Mats
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Post by WhitePine »

I experience numerous power outages... pretty much on a weekly basis. I have gone with out power for 5 days in the winter and used Shanes method of water movement(water changes)..... and battery powered air stones. Luckily I am able to keep the house warm enough with a wood stove in the winter. Fresh water fish did fine, I did lose a small reef tank. I worry about my planned fish room though.
Cheers, Whitepine

River Tank with Rio HF 20 (1290 gph), Eheim 2236.
- Apon boivinianus, Bolbitis, Crypt balansae, Microsorum Windelov, Vallisneria americana, Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea zenkerii, Anubias barterii.
Neo

Post by Neo »

Might try one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170688823140? ... 1423.l2649

Should be ok to run a few tanks?? and hopefully quiet enough for the neighbours? what do you's think? i have a lot of money worth of fish so kinda paranoid for the winter lol
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Post by WhitePine »

I have 5000 watt generator outback.... Loud as hell and sucks the gas like there's no tomorrow. I use it sparingly.
Cheers, Whitepine

River Tank with Rio HF 20 (1290 gph), Eheim 2236.
- Apon boivinianus, Bolbitis, Crypt balansae, Microsorum Windelov, Vallisneria americana, Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea zenkerii, Anubias barterii.
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

Shane wrote: The most immediate concern during power outages is mainly a concern for people in cold climates: temperature.

Tanks can be run forever, with daily water changes, without filtration, but once the temp starts dropping, so do tropical fish. A portable propane heater would be a good back up (or immediate purchase) during an extended power outage.
Another option to keep the temperature of the tank warm during a power outage is to use hot water from the tap. My house (and I'm guessing a lot of other houses in the US) heat their water with natural gas or petroleum. I can fill plastic bags with hot water from the tap (even when there is no electricity), and place the bags in the tank to keep the temperature up. But a portable heater is more effective for multiple tanks in a fish room.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Shane, what stocking levels are you running on those tanks... I think there is an important factor of "how much fish you keep in a tank".
It depends on the tank, but stocking levels (while something to certainly consider) are not a major factor. I have kept fish packed, rostrum to caudal peduncle (and alive and healthy), for weeks in the field on nothing more than water changes. More fish simply equals more frequent and larger water changes. Ask anyone on the forum if they have ever seen me lose a fish when no electricity was available either in the field or my fishroom.

If an aquarist's tank that would crash (ie wipeout) without power (temperature issues aside of course and if they face frequent, prolonged outages) for more than a day they need to revaluate their water change regime, stocking levels, feeding routine, etc.

By pure coincidence, the only tank I am keeping right now (as my kit has yet to arrive from Africa) has no filtration at all, but some very happy fish (just doing 50% water changes every morning). This hobby was around a long time before power filtration. If you do not have it, get a copy o Klee's "Toy Fish: A History of the Aquarium Hobby in America - The first one hundred years."
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-general ... -klee.html

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Neo wrote:Might try one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170688823140? ... 1423.l2649

Should be ok to run a few tanks?? and hopefully quiet enough for the neighbours? what do you's think? i have a lot of money worth of fish so kinda paranoid for the winter lol
93 dB is quite loud. I beleive the maximum noise level from a motorcycle with larger than 175cc at full revs is 86 dB. A racing motorcycle on UK club/national level is allowed 105 dB. Formula 1 car around 130dB and MotoGP bikes allow 125dB.

--
Mats
Neo

Post by Neo »

Mats cheers mate, know where I can get an affordable quiter one from by any chance?
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Sorry, not sure. I'll see what I can find...

--
Mats
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Unfortunately, the cost of these aren't particularly low, but the sound level of the more silent ones is really low:
http://www.generatormachines.co.uk/caravan-generators

--
Mats
Neo

Post by Neo »

Cheers will have a look :)
Matt30
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:9, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 3 (i:8, p:100)
Location 2: England. Surrey ,Caterham

Post by Matt30 »

I had some power-cuts so I got a Ring powerpack with 300watt inverter, I hooked up my Eheim 2215 and a 200watt heater and it lasted 4+hours, Im sure if I had left it running it would have lasted a lot longer but I needed to get some kip so pluged everything back to the mains, only any good if your about though,its loud under load but for £120 what more could you want,and you can jump your motor with it :d
I also have x2 battery oprated air pumps £8 each loud,but they do the job !
"Justice is coming to all of us no matter what we do"-WATCHMEN

Return to “Tank Talk”