Ideas needed for Jaguar Catfish tankmates in 55g

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Proteus
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Chicago, IL

Ideas needed for Jaguar Catfish tankmates in 55g

Post by Proteus »

I'm trying to convert a 55g back into an heavily planted tank setup. The temperature will be set at 75 degrees, I might eventually upgrade it to 75g tank or transfer everyone into a 180g tank.

The stocklist right now is 5 Jaguar Catfish,

Everything else is in the plans:

6-12 Puntius denisonii (Torpedo Barb) depending on what I can do with them.

I was thinking of getting emperor tetras K. Palmeris maybe 6-12 of them.

The only thing thats off is the bottom portion as will never see the Jaguar catfish. I was wondering what other fish I could get that would occupy the lower level at all times and still be visible that won't be in danger of being ate by the Jaguars.

Any ideas?
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Ideas needed for Jaguar Catfish tankmates in 55g

Post by Birger »

I think if you use structure/caves that are large enough to see into and situate them for viewing, combine this with enough time where the fish will get confident in their surroundings you will see the oncinus more than you think.

I keep a pair of ancistrus in with mine.

Birger
Birger
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

55gallons is about 200 liters give or take a bit?

in my opinion this tank is far too small for Liosomadoras, let alone 5......
Valar Morghulis
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

sidguppy wrote:55gallons is about 200 liters give or take a bit?

in my opinion this tank is far too small for Liosomadoras, let alone 5......

Disagree. This is a fish species that is very sensitive with the water parameters I agree on that part however a 55g tank is just fine for a school of L. Oncinus in my opinion to be housed comfortably, but I also believe with constant water changes like with the discus, I will be able to keep them in my tanks and thrive happily. I had them in the 110g stock tub over the summer outdoors and they did not do well they were all by themselves and they got too thin. Its not the size of the tank in my opinion. Its the attention you give to the water parameters to make sure its all good. Now they're back to their norm piggy selves. Pigging out on every food I put in the tanks in a 35 hex with the L183 group. My plan is to move the L183 into the L134 tank. Then move the Jaguars into the 55g once I get it set up and the hardscape/plants are done and ready.

My plan is to have daily-every other day 25- 50% water changes to keep the water pristine as possible. Maybe stretched to 3 days if I'm out of town however they will not be fed during that time. That's what I have been doing since day one when I downsized all of my tanks. Really its all about the water and what I gotta do to make my fish happy.

I don't think I've seen any L. Oncinus over 8'' though.

Right now I got rid of so many tanks I lost count as I had 16 tanks running at one point now its only 3 tanks up and running.

Once I know the plans of the move/where I end up at then my 180g tank will be there as well as other tanks that I kept at that house.

i don't see this any different than the breeders housing a pair of discus in a 20g tank. ITs all about keeping the water clean as possible.
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

Birger wrote:I think if you use structure/caves that are large enough to see into and situate them for viewing, combine this with enough time where the fish will get confident in their surroundings you will see the oncinus more than you think.

I keep a pair of ancistrus in with mine.

Birger

Maybe, I hope so :d

I got my heart set on those torpedo barbs. This is really a perfect combination in temperature requirement of the Jaguar Cats and is too large/fast for the Jaguars to think they're food.

Other than that maybe I'll just keep the Torpedo barb/Jaguars in that tank. And have a visually pleasing planted tank.

Return to “Tank Talk”