featherfin catfish question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
landon21
Location 2: Texarkana, TX

featherfin catfish question

Post by landon21 »

hey guys my names landon, im new to the forums and am glad to have found this place! ive been in the aquarium "hobby" if you will for 10 out of my 22 years.. recently i joined the army and am currently living on base and due to restrictions im only allowed to keep a 5 gallon (no larger) aquarium in my dorm/house.. soon (within the next two months) i will be able to move to an actual house and be able to have the aquarium im dieing for.. my situation is; about a month ago one of my dorm buddies had a catfish he had gotten from walmart in a fish bowl with a betta! being the fish lover i am i went out and bought a 5 gallon setup for this fish and actually paid the guy to rescue this fish.. i know its not much being 5 gallons but i couldnt see this fish die in a bowl.. anyways ive had him for about a month now and went to walmart to see what this guy actually was, he appears to be a featherfin or as walmart describes an upside down catfish.. he was about an inch and a half when i got him but i would say hes grown nearly to two inches and has begun to darken in color.. i dont know what it is about this cat i love so much, im usually a saltwater fan but ive grown attatched to this little guy.. ive setup his aquarium to feel as at home as possible for him, however hes currently sharing the tank with a male and jarred female betta.. i keep the temp at a steady 76f, i use a hang on the box filter that came with the setup and perform %75 water changes weekly.. like i said earlier im not too big on freshwater but am hoping to create a freshwater monster fish/oddball setup as soon as i get out of these dorms.. i dont know too much about this species other than what ive read on google and such, but am hoping you guys may be able to feel me in.. how large do these guys get? whats the average growth rate? any pictures/vids on adults? schooling fish? and how would this fit in to a predatory fish setup when of course larger?

ive included a few pics though had to remove my cat ive named "romeo" from the aquarium(only for a few seconds) to take the pictures because hes always hiding behing the rock and plant work.. he looks much darker and lively in the aquarium, i promise hes not sick lol! i know most cats are nocturnal but i never see this guy out even when the lights are dimmed, ive been feeding him bloodworms, flakes and sinking pellets but like i said i never see him out so i never see him eat... /:) any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

ImageImageImageImage
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: featherfin catfish question

Post by Birger »

Looks like you have yourself a
Click on the link it will take you to our data page on these.
They grow quite quickly given good conditions.
You most likely would find a lot on these if you do a forum search.

Birger
Birger
landon21

Post by landon21 »

thanks, any tips or advice other than what ive read online (personal experience) would be grealtly appreciated! thanks again!
Birger
Expert

Post by Birger »

Not sure if you caught my edit, If you do a forum search on featherfin you could read all night.

Birger
Birger
landon21

Post by landon21 »

yeah just caught it, ive been researching the forums but have had a difficult time finding info on the adult featherfins.. any tips to the trade and the growth rate of this species would be helpful! thanks man
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

It's very hard to predict growth rates, because it depends entirely on how much and what kind of food it gets, as well as water quality/temperature etc.

As the catfish gets to over 8", a tank of at least 50 gallons will be required eventually, but providing you change plenty of water, it should be fine in your 5 gallon for a few months until you move out of the dorm.

Growth will slow down over time.
clydeboy
My cats species list: 19 (i:19, k:0)
Location 1: Cumbernauld
Location 2: cumbernauld
Interests: Football,wild bird photography,music

Post by clydeboy »

Brilliant Fish with big personalities. :d
I would suggest making a "cave" or arch with a couple of pieces of bogwood, and you will be able to see him hang upside down in it, and he'll feel "safe".
Feed him at the same time every day and he'll become used to the feeding regime. Mine hangs about the front of the tank from an hour before feeding time as if to say C'mon, wheres the grub?
They love sinking pellets, frozen foods like bloodworm and even the occasional chunk of cucumber, but be careful not to overfeed as they are greedy, and will hoover up food all day.

Enjoy watching him grow, he'll become a stunning fish. :-BD

Ian
My best "tip"

Don't stand up in a canoe
landon21

Post by landon21 »

thanks guys, ive added a few pieces of driftwood which he seems to love, though after a month i still never see this guy eat.. does it usually take longer?
clydeboy
My cats species list: 19 (i:19, k:0)
Location 1: Cumbernauld
Location 2: cumbernauld
Interests: Football,wild bird photography,music

Post by clydeboy »

He will be eating, you just don't see him doing it.
They are most active at dawn and dusk, and hoover around looking for any bits and pieces lying around, most of which you can't see.
Mine always come out to eat when I put in high protein granules and those small sinking pellets.

Is he getting noticably bigger? If so he must be eating ok.

Ian
My best "tip"

Don't stand up in a canoe
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

I named my featherfin "Invisicat" because she was always hiding for the first few months, and I never saw her feed in the first month either- she's made up for it since, as she's always about waiting for feeding time now. She grew from 1" to 6" in the first year, and got seriously fat in the process- fortunately she's slimmed down a bit in the last 3 years.
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

They can grow up to almost a foot (total length) and be robust and tall in the body with very pretty extensions on their fins. They can live for 30 years (!!) if well cared for and no accident claims their lives - so having one of these fish is a 2-3 times longer commitment than having a cat or a dog! People do not think about that. http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =8&t=30928

They can be territorial with conspecifics as well as other synos but this depends on the tank size and the set up/hiding places/furniture. They will become much more visible with other fish and other synos around. The reason you don't see him is you got so many hiding places there and no dither fish or at least just other fish (other than the two bettas). They live in bare tanks too - this is a bit stressful for them but dim light will alleviate most of that stress - after all, this is how they live at LFSs sometimes for months, 0.5, 1 year before sold.

Another reason may be that bettas attack him. So he hides. Even food would not lure out a fish that is being beat up.

I have had up to 6 of them at times in large, diverse community tanks. They always come out when food is dropped in and feed enthusiastically. They spend all night looking for crumbs too. They are riverine synos, not lake synos. Riverine are always more reclusive and hide more.

They are one of the most common synos that are out there. People do not realize how big they grow and that they are semi-aggressive. Hence, you often see 5"-10" trade-ins at the LFSs for $25-$35. Young fish is never more than a few bucks. Maybe $5.

Welcome and hope this helps.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
landon21

Post by landon21 »

thanks so much for the help! so they can really get up to a foot? anyone know of any pics or vids of one this big? also ive never seen the bettas hurt him, even when he had the tank to himself he never came out, hes grown about a half inch... well im sure not that much in a month but hes notionally larger and a darker black.. is this color change a good sign? thanks again for the help!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I do not think I saw one more than 10"-11".

One does not know what occurs in the dark.

If he's grown and his tummy is not like it is sucked in and he does not look starved/emaciated, then he must be eating something, again, most likely at night when you do not see it.

Color change can occur for many reasons, including water chemistry, temp, fish's age, etc. Color can also be related to mood: usually when any fish is stressed it turns paler colors. In your situation, this last thing may be irrelevant. Just for your general knowledge. This is usually very evident in short term situations, e.g., when fish is caught, re-homed, etc.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Birger
Expert

Post by Birger »

thanks so much for the help! so they can really get up to a foot? anyone know of any pics or vids of one this big?
The measurement in the link above is Standard length
Abbr. SL The distance from the tip of the snout to the base of the tail (caudal fin).
. So if you add the length of the caudal fin on to this it could become quite close to 12 inches, that said I do not think I have seen one this size in person.

Birger
Birger

Return to “African Catfishes”