L046 tank setup

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Luis.Ventura
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:1)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Lisboa-Portugal

L046 tank setup

Post by Luis.Ventura »

Good evening all
I had a Project whit L015 Pelckotia Vittata but they didn´t come....
the thing now is that i was thinking to transform a setback in a upgrade.

I want to build a Tank only to breed L046, the thing is that exists to many info about them and some are diferent of each other making abit confusing on tank setup...
so i thot in making a post whit my doubts:

Should the tank be build all rocky or it can be all Wood?
Sand bottom or gravel 2 to 5 milimeters?
I know about food, current, water parameters, my problem is tank setup.
i already read all the posts about L046 in the forum and in other forums and they are a bit messy when compilating all the data, thats why i am here.
By the way:
100/55/55 tank (1 meter long, 55 high, 55 wide)
fluval 204 + pump head (can´t remember the wph)

PS: if i did any typing suicide just ignore.
Always Learning.
KrisA
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:4, p:60)
Location 2: Denmark

Re: L046 tank setup

Post by KrisA »

Hey, Here is the way i have done my zebra aquarium.
edit: there is no zebra's yet, but they will soon come :)
Attachments
Billede 022.jpg
Luis.Ventura
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:1)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Lisboa-Portugal

Post by Luis.Ventura »

Thanks Krisa.
Always Learning.
drd
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Löddeköpinge,sweden
Location 2: sweden
Interests: Discus,angels and catfish

Post by drd »

KrisA wrote:Hey, Here is the way i have done my zebra aquarium.
edit: there is no zebra's yet, but they will soon come :)

Looks good i think !
They are hopefully going to enjoy their stray in that tank :D
I keep zebras,L200´s,L183´s,L333´s and many more,lots of corys and some cichlids from south america :D
Farid
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Switzerland/Zurich

Post by Farid »

@krisa,
i would place all the caves under the woood ...specially under the front one...where the cave entrences will get shadow from the wood... this is important...

what cave would you choose...and remember u dont like bright light :wink:

u exit the cave to lay in front of it...it's bright and open...

u exit and you find a covered place in the shadow ...

you choose...( try to be a little L46 :wink: )

some cats also use uncovered caves... but in this case also the ones up in the wood...make some tests ...leave them in the wood but also lay some in shadow covered places...you'll see 8)

best regards
farid
My cats L2,49,47,46,L66,134,181,189,200,201,204,205,208,260,397,LG6,Parotocinclus recife/halderoi,A.ranunculus,Peckoltia sp. "rio palacio",Pseudohemiodon platycephalus/lamina,Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus,Rineloricaria lanceolata,St.festivum,Akysis vespa,Bunocephalus corracoides,Synodontis multipunctatus/grandiops, C.panda,adolfoi,cruziensis
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

As with almost everything involved with fishkeeping, there is very rarely only one way or any clearly best way to do anything. What works for one person wont for another.

I have always based my zebra tank layouts on what I read on zebrapleco.com regarding their natural habitat: http://www.zebrapleco.com/habitat.php. My feeling is that adequate cover is probably the most important consideration in laying out a tank that holds more than a single adult pair.

That said here are some poor photos of my zebra tanks:

You can't see them but there are a ton of rounded river rocks behind the front area. tank is a bare bottom 36x18x13 inch 30 gal breeder. AC 150 gph, Hot Magnum plumbed as a river flow and 230 gph PH blowing down the front glass.

The bottom tank here is a 33L- 48x12x13 and holds 17 zebras (15 F1 growing out + 2 F0 adult males) to form a 2nd group. Again it is a bare bottom tank loaded with rounded river rock and wood. It has a few plants which wont last. Filtration is an Eheim Liberty 200 gph on the right end and on the left I have a 290 gph and a 230 gph PH with the bigger one blowing down the front and the other down the rear. (For the curious the top tank holds 11 F0 L-134.)

Unfortunately I have no good tank pics of what I use for growout of fry. However I can summarize by saying they provide tons of cover and some have been bare and others had small gravel. Also they tend to have less flow than the tanks for adults and are smaller to facillitate feeding and cleaning.
Here is a pic of a small piece of a 15 gal growout tank. There were about 30 or 40 fry in it ultimately and almost all of them could be found under one of the two slate overhangs in the pic below:

Like I said, this is just my way not the only nor even the best way.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
midnight10
Location 2: rochester, ny

Post by midnight10 »

Thanks for pics of your zebra tanks...what are young ones feeding on in the last picture?
Matt30
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:9, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 3 (i:8, p:100)
Location 2: England. Surrey ,Caterham

Post by Matt30 »

Hi mate

This is my species only Zebra tank, its a 125L and houses x5 Zebra's.
I has an internal bio compact 600 with air diffuser and Eheim external 2217 filter,it has sand/slate/and driftwood.
1.jpg
1.jpg (13.53 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
27302.jpg
27302.jpg (11.2 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
The pic of my Zebra's was taken about six months ago.

Gook luck
"Justice is coming to all of us no matter what we do"-WATCHMEN
wobbler
My aquaria list: 4 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:45)
Location 2: Norway

Post by wobbler »

Hi

Does anyone of you have any experience how the caves should be positioned in relation to the water current? I have positioned my circulation pump close to the bottom on one of the side walls so that relatively strong current passing the openings of the caves.

Most of my caves are located on the tank bottom, recently i have tried to "lift" a few of them and positioned them somewhat higer in the tank, hidden between stones etc. It seems lik my L066 and L202 prefers the "bottom caves", do you have the same experience?

Wobbler
Matt30
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:9, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 3 (i:8, p:100)
Location 2: England. Surrey ,Caterham

Post by Matt30 »

Hi Wobbler

Your current flowing past the entrance of your caves sounds fine,on the rare occasions I have seen my male zebra's out of there caves they are always in direct line of the flow coming out of the pump as do my females,and in my experience none of zebra have gone near the higher caves set up in my tank.
"Justice is coming to all of us no matter what we do"-WATCHMEN
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

If my memory serves me, that was an AquaDine wafer, one of their DuraDisk line. I got a half of a container of them when I purchased the breeding colony that spawned the fry.

http://aquadine.com/
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
midnight10
Location 2: rochester, ny

Post by midnight10 »

Thanks for info, Glenn

Return to “Tank Talk”