Moving a clutch of eggs

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
AndiH
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Iron Range of Minnesota, USA

Moving a clutch of eggs

Post by AndiH »

Discovered my BNs had spawned overnight, some eggs on the heater and some on the glass right next to the heater. I moved the eggs into a net breeder, but didn't get dad. I should have asked before moving them, but was this the right thing to do? Should dad be in there?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Moving a clutch of eggs

Post by MatsP »

What? Bristlenoses lay large, orange, eggs in a hidden place (usually a "cave", but it can be under a piece of wood, rock or some such, and it can technically have more than one entrance).

Eggs stuck to glass, heater, etc. is probably cory eggs - particularly if they are not orange or yellow.

--
Mats
AndiH
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Iron Range of Minnesota, USA

Post by AndiH »

They're definitely BN eggs, large and orange, and dad was guarding them somewhat. I guess they don't like the way I set the tank up after I moved, which I'll try to fix.
Thriftyfisher
Location 1: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Location 2: Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Post by Thriftyfisher »

I don't think it would be much of a problem to move the eggs to a breeder net. You might want to put the male with them. In the cave the male is keeping the eggs aerated, cleaned and safe, in a net you won’t have that advantage. We just had a club member write an article for our local newsletter after he had a pair spawn in a tank without a cave. You can read his article here on page 5. http://www.grandvalleyaquariumclub.org/ ... f-file.pdf

I have had males kick eggs out of the cave and if you catch it soon enough you can put the eggs back in and they will often be fine. I know people who angle the opening of the cave up a little so the eggs don't get kicked back out again.
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

If you don't put it with the male have a bubbler going and make sure that it's clean. As said above, the male takes a lot of time caring for the eggs and you can easily lose the eggs or fry early on as they are quite a bit touchier then when they are older. Worst comes to worst, you'll probably get another brood in the next month or two if you provide a cave that the male moves into.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”