Hidey places for synodontis?.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Maccus
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Southern VT.

Hidey places for synodontis?.

Post by Maccus »

I tend to use flowerpots and checking what other ideas are out there.
Whenever I find a commercial ornament that seems large enough, it's costly.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Re: Hidey places for synodontis?.

Post by sidguppy »

bogwood? PVC pipes? terracotta pottery?

what kind of tank are we talking about? Fift tank, riverine biotope....

and what size of syno?
Valar Morghulis
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I use terracotta saucers, slate & other stones, wood, coconut shells and plastic pipes in my tanks. All in line with what the overall tank look I want, and what size/type of fish they are. A few fish (not necessarily synos) seem to perfer wood to stone or prefer stone to wood, but most seem to not be concerned either way - as long as it's somewhere the fish feels secure.

--
Mats
bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Post by bigamefish »

i use a clay pot with a airstone in it
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Synos really aren't that fussy what they use as long as they feel secure. Given the choice rift lake synos do prefer rockwork & riverine synos (dependant upon species) like twisted roots, branches, plant thickets etc.

The two things i'd say are...
1 - you should strategically create hiding places for synos that maximise the amount of viewing. Many people provide hiding places then wonder why they don't see their fish or remove hiding places so they can see them but the fish aren't happy as a consequence.
2 - if purpose made ornaments etc are expensive, then create your own; depending on how creative you are. Slate, silicon, terracotta pieces etc can all be used to great effect - or even (depending on where you live) befriend your local pottery shop & you can get something custom made very cheaply
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

mine like driftwood piles, pvc pipes, huge cave decos
toddnbecka
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cumberland, MD
Interests: Synodontis

Post by toddnbecka »

Medium or large Cichlid Stones are decent hides for petricola or lucipinnis, particularly juvies. My multi's mainly hang out under rockpiles when they feel like ducking for cover. The younger ones aren't reluctant to show themselves at feeding time, the adults like it better if I turn off the direct over-the-tank lights though.
Alisana
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:1)
Location 1: Queensland, Australia
Location 2: Queensland, Australia

Post by Alisana »

Richard B wrote: [...]
2 - if purpose made ornaments etc are expensive, then create your own; depending on how creative you are. Slate, silicon, terracotta pieces etc can all be used to great effect - or even (depending on where you live) befriend your local pottery shop & you can get something custom made very cheaply
Very true this! I have a collection of riverstones that I glue together with silicone (ensure it's aquarium safe) to create little caves for younger fish/small loaches. The key thing to make sure though is when gluing them together is first try and stack the rocks in such a way that they'll remain in position naturally, then silicone them together. I let mine dry for a week before washing with tap water, then soaking for another week in a bucket of aquarium water before putting it in the tank.

The other option I've done to create "natural" effects is getting a large piece of PVC or a pot, coating it in silicone, then rolling it in a matching substrate for the tank.

Just be very very careful to keep an eye on the size of these hide-y holes to the size of your fish! I had a very bad experience/near-miss not long ago when my got stuck in a fake log. Given that experience, I'm now keeping an eye out for natural logs that are big enough for the adult.

Return to “African Catfishes”