New tank for Synodontis petricola

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
plesner
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 12
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Copenhagen, Denmark

New tank for Synodontis petricola

Post by plesner »

I have a 250 L tank almost ready for my S. petricola 'dwarf'. I've got an adult pair (which did breed before I got them), 2 at around 6-7 cm and 5 at around 4 cm.

If they do breed, are they likely to do it anywhere in the tank or would they more likely prefer a cave like the one described in COTM June. 2001 ?

The reason I ask is that I'll let the adult pair have the tank to themselves (except for the occasional hormone-producing tank mates) if I can't talk them into depositing their eggs in a place where I stand a chance of saving at least some of them. If on the other hand they are more likely to breed in a cave of some sort, I'll move all of them to the new tank and set up a few of those cave-like 'things'.

I know it's difficult to be sure, but I would like to play the odds on this one.

One final question: I don't suppose any S. petricola would think twice about eating any available fry of their own species ?
plesner
plesner
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 12
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by plesner »

Hmmm.... I'm not sure if I made myself clear. What it boils down to is this: Is S. petricola more likely to be a cave spawner or an egg scatterer ? I've read contradicting reports, so I don't really know what to expect.

My second question: Will they eat their own fry or fry of their own species ?
plesner
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

plesner wrote:Hmmm.... I'm not sure if I made myself clear. What it boils down to is this: Is S. petricola more likely to be a cave spawner or an egg scatterer ? I've read contradicting reports, so I don't really know what to expect.
They may try both. They may not find a comfortable cave and egg scatter instead.
plesner wrote:My second question: Will they eat their own fry or fry of their own species ?
The non-parent fish may well eat fry and eggs, but I'm not sure the parents would. There is always a risk though.

Rusty
Herman63
Location 1: Kentucky, USA

Post by Herman63 »

From what I have read I believe they are scatters, they may use a cave but they still scatter the eggs in the cave. So if no caves they may just scatter in a corner or behind a rock.

Herman63

Return to “African Catfishes”