Fish Trapped [Resolved] aka Dangers of Fake Logs

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Alisana
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:1)
Location 1: Queensland, Australia
Location 2: Queensland, Australia

Fish Trapped [Resolved] aka Dangers of Fake Logs

Post by Alisana »

I just wanted to post my experience here so that if anyone else runs into the same issue OR has any recommendations how how to have handled it differently. (TL;DR at bottom for short version)

Yesterday morning I had been re-arranging some driftwood in my 3ft Malawi Set Up which is home to some Malawi cichlids, a rather friendly and two . The tank is planted with Anubias and Java Fern on wood, a collection of lava rocks and some 'fake' logs.

Upon lifting a piece of driftwood out, my largest Decora, Phi, got startled and darted into the fake log. S/he sits at about 10-12cm long, 3-4cm at it's thickest around the abdomen. The fake log has three openings, and one of the openings is about 4cm in diameter at the longest part, 3cm at the smallest (it's an oval). Phi managed to get itself stuck in said opening.

At this point, I was standing over my tank holding the bit of driftwood in hand in shock. I had never had a fish get stuck in anything before, so started to panic.

(Both Decora's were imported from another state and were about this [see below] big when I got each:

- Sorry about image quality
The above is Chi on 27th August 2011. My LFS is rather lucky to even manage to get about 5-8 specimens each year ><)

Not knowing what to do, I quickly replaced the driftwood, dimmed the lights and watched as poor Phi's tail was wriggling quite considerably to try and get through the hole. I tried calling my LFS for advice (mine is rather knowledgeable and an avid aquarist himself) but store hadn't opened yet. :( Keeping an eye on the Decora I jumped online, looking for advice for what to do. At this point, I flicked the lights off on the aquarium completely, hoping that the darkness would calm Phi enough to escape. I found utterly STUPID suggestions like "use warm water" (excuse me while I hit my head on a desk) to some reasonable suggestions, such as leaving for an hour with lights out, dosing Stress Coat in tank for Aloe Vera extract, or gently coaxing it forward or backwards through the opening, or worse-case-scenario, using a chisel/hammer to break the ornament apart.

I decided to keep a close eye on it and was hoping that it would wriggle free on its own. This log in question it had managed to dart in and out of quite happily in the past (frequently does so during feeding time) and had never been stuck before, so I was hoping it would make it out itself. After leaving it about 20 minutes, I started to worry as it was still struggling and I could see from the other end of the log it was breathing quite rapidly. Fearing that I may lose my fish to shock if I didn't act, I looked around for success stories online for people in the same situation.

I had already dosed the tank with Stress Coat when I first came across the suggestion, and now I decided to see what can be done. One suggestion, a person had a fish stuck in an ornament and had used tweezers with rubber ends to pull the fish out, commenting that many fish "didn't have a reverse gear". Given the size of the fish, and tools NOT on hand, I figured I would try and pull it out myself. Ensuring my hands were completely clean, I poured more of the stress coat solution into a bucket with water at double dose and ensured my hands were significantly coated in this. Then, picking up the log, I checked the situation. The fish was unable to progress forward as it had entered completely straight, rather than on an angle (as mentioned, it's an oval shape). It had been trapped by its two pectoral fins and dorsal fins as they were blocking the way for it to get in.

Gently holding onto its tail, I attempted to extract the fish. Phi got startled again by this, wriggled around and I got nicked twice with its spines on my finger. I managed to extract Phi about 50% of the way out, but only to have it dart into the log again. Seeing as it worked first time, and I was able to pull Phi out with ease (being very, very careful about this), I instead angled the log upwards, (all the time in the water) and extracted Phi out. S/he darted downwards to the bottom of the tank and into hiding, several scrapes and scratches on his/her side.

Immediately I removed both fake logs, fixed up the furniture to provide more hiding spots now that the two logs were gone, and slowly started adding aquarium salt to help reduce stress. The entire ordeal lasted about 1hr - 1hr 30 min total. At about 10 (this happened at 8.30am), I turned the lights on, but only left the soft-blue light on, keeping the bright white off; shifting the light slightly so only one side of the tank was lit, while the other side (which is Phi's territory) was in semi-darkness.

That afternoon, I dropped down to my LFS, explained what happened, and grabbed a bottle of Melafix, dosing the tank when I got home.

All in all, Phi appears rather shaken and isn't slinking around for food as s/he normally does, however did come out for a little nibble of some catfish chips in the afternoon. Will keep an eye on Phi over the next week to ensure wounds heal quickly. #:-S
TL;DR: Decora got stuck, could not get out of fake log. Dosed tank with Stress Coat with Aloe, then after 20 minutes of fish being unable to get free, gently pulled fish out using fingers washed in Stress Coat/Water solution. Tank had aquarium salt and melafix added to tank. Decora sporting several scratches along body.
Last edited by Alisana on 31 Jan 2012, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
Alisana

Re: Fish Trapped [Resolved]

Post by Alisana »

Got some photos of Phi this morning during feeding. Very difficult to grab a shot.

Scratch along side. Couldn't get photos of the main scratches towards the front though.

Can see slight scratching along the shoulder area.

Suspect wounds on nose may be due to fighting with Omega (L083). Saw them tussling with each other over food when feeding the tank before.

Behaviour wise, Phi seems to be relatively normal. As aforementioned, seemed quite keen to fight Omega for an algae wafer (despite there being another two elsewhere), swam around, grubbed around in the substrate before retreating back to the lava rock cave. Seems to be in good shape. Keeping an eye on the wounds, particularly that one on the nose.
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

Wow! Glad you got that sorted out with only minor wounds (to you and Phi). An alternate title of this thread could be "The Dangers of Fake Logs". And so much for that.
Steve GT
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Gainsborough, Lincs

Post by Steve GT »

Glad you got it sorted mate could have been a worse turn out without calm thinking. Good work getting her out safely too was quick thinking on your part

Hopefully phi can relax a bit now and recover well
bigbird
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sydney, Australia
Location 2: Sydney, Australia
Interests: Ls, Fish, Aquatics, Viszlas and Family

Post by bigbird »

wow intersting indeed. glad all are well. cheers jk b-)
I am not perfect, but I say as I see it. Smile and enjoy Life
Alisana

Post by Alisana »

Scleropages wrote:Wow! Glad you got that sorted out with only minor wounds (to you and Phi). An alternate title of this thread could be "The Dangers of Fake Logs". And so much for that.
Yeah, I'm VERY glad I managed to rescue Phi without serious damage. I updated the thread title as per your suggestion. Good warning/heads up for people out there!

I'm going to re-design the tank when I move everything/everyone over to the 6ft I'm getting in a few weeks. One major thing I'll be checking is to ensure all the holes in the aquarium are large enough for an adult decora to get through.

I have one real log in there currently which would fit an adult, but it's not very long (plus my L083 "owns" it). The upside is the hollowed-out log is thin enough (about 3-6mm in different places) to break with my hands, so I can break it open easily should there be a repeat event. My LFS is now keeping an eye out for me for any similar logs through his suppliers and owning three full grown decora's himself, he's well aware of their true size.

If I'm unable to get any logs with a decora-sized opening, plus thin enough to break, I may just get a collection of tangled golden vine or similar and create something that way.

Re-dosed the tank with Melafix again today. (Going to dose tank over 7 days as per dosage recommendation). Will try and grab more photos towards the end of the week for an update.
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

Alisana wrote:I updated the thread title as per your suggestion. Good warning/heads up for people out there!
Haha! Seeing the edited thread title made my day!

You can also make some "caves" using multiple pieces of driftwood strategically stacked with or without rocks. This is what I did in my 125gal for my Synodontis angelica group.
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Re: Fish Trapped [Resolved] aka Dangers of Fake Logs

Post by L number Banana »

Glad Phil was saved!

Here's two more to warn about, both fish were saved.

Coconuts with holes in the end - Twigs ( ) fit right into the little holes but can't back out.

Mini plant pots sold with aquarium plants. If your plant gets pushed out of the pot, many corys will fit through one way but will not be able to back out.
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
Alisana

Post by Alisana »

L number Banana wrote:Glad Phil was saved!

Here's two more to warn about, both fish were saved.

Coconuts with holes in the end - Twigs ( ) fit right into the little holes but can't back out.

Mini plant pots sold with aquarium plants. If your plant gets pushed out of the pot, many corys will fit through one way but will not be able to back out.
Thanks for the heads up on that one. Didn't think of the potted plants with Cory's.

My LFS managed to get a decent sized log :) Big enough for an adult.

Below is the image of the original log the Decora got stuck in (bottom log), and the above log is the new one from the LFS. I have it currently soaking in a spare tank to release the tannins. Hopefully it'll be ready in about one-two weeks time. As you can see, a substantial up-size from the previous log. :-BD

Phi is doing very well. Can't get Phi to stay still long enough to grab a photo though.
Maccus
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Southern VT.

Post by Maccus »

I had a pleco get stuck in the bottom of a fake root. I know plecos like to wedge themselves places, however I'm fairly sure this pleco was stuck because I hadn't seen him for days. At first when I found a caudal fin sticking out, I thought he was dead. When I was lifting it out of the water, the pleco stayed in the root. I decided to never use it for a pleco tank again. I used a combination of gently prying and water pressure to get him out.

I was going to post what it looks like, can't find one.

What I think every fish keeper should do on account of these incidents is check openings and block those that might trap their fish.

Return to “African Catfishes”