Juvinile Petricola????

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Doc_Piscis
Location 1: Southwest Virginia, USA
Interests: Pets (fish & dogs), Backpacking, Mountain Biking, Sea Kayaking, Scuba Diving & NYC

Juvinile Petricola????

Post by Doc_Piscis »

I recently purchased a syno petricola from the LFS and it is very small (~1" OR 2.5 cm inlucding the tail). He looks like a petricola and I didn't think much of it until I read a post earlier today saying that juvi petricolas are very light colored, almost white. Mine is black with even blacker black spost.

Would this be a Petricola?

I will try to take a photo, but it may be hard to get to him to take a photo. He has been hangin out in the rock work.

THANKS!!!
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

I will try to take a photo,
that would help alot. have you looked in the car-elog?
and can you put your location in your profile that would also help.
Doc_Piscis
Interests: Pets (fish & dogs), Backpacking, Mountain Biking, Sea Kayaking, Scuba Diving & NYC

Post by Doc_Piscis »

Noone here knows whether a petricola 1" juvi is supposed to be a very deep gray (almost black) with black spots? I am surprised, with all the experts here. :lol:

Magnum,
I have been trying to get a photo, but the littlw guy is very evasive and has way too many nooks and crannies to hide in. He is new to the tank, so he is probably more shy then he will be in a couple weeks. I will keep trying to photograph him/her.

I checked out the Cat-elog, but there are no good pictures of any juviniles.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

This is a picture of my young petricola, at about 2.5 inches. The fry that I received at 1.5 inches were also colored exactly the same way. Have you checked for the white leading edge on their dorsal fin and mouth shape? I would be suspicious as to whether you really have a petricola if he's that dark. They should have black fins, with that distinct white edge.

http://www.fishaholics.org/barbie/calvuspetricola.jpg

Barbie
MultiPunk
Location 1: Hampshire, UK
Interests: rugby, motorbikes

Post by MultiPunk »

Much as Barbie says, I purchased 4 small petricola at 1" - 1.5" and they are coloured exactly like an adult by that stage. I believe younger fry are lighter not darker.
MultiPunk
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

Noone here knows whether a petricola 1" juvi is supposed to be a very deep gray (almost black) with black spots? I am surprised, with all the experts here.
normally light grey/ whiteish, however they may turn darker on black substrate? which is why we would prefere a picture.

I will have to send pictures to jools, expect to see some in the cat-elog, if i can get a picture i can sympathise.
Last edited by magnum4 on 03 Nov 2003, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
plesner
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 12
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by plesner »

Noone here knows whether a petricola 1" juvi is supposed to be a very deep gray (almost black) with black spots? I am surprised, with all the experts here.
When I got mine, the smallest were around 1,5 inches TL. I keep mine on a jet black substrate and they're still white with black spots.
plesner
Doc_Piscis

Post by Doc_Piscis »

Thanks everyone for your input and thanks for the photo!

I have white substrate and the syno is still very dark in color. This syno has the same overall body shape and the exact same mouth as a petricola. He has the black fins with the white leading edge.

I think there is a good chance that this not a petricola. So, it looks like the next step is to photograph the little guy/gal. I will try to net him tonight/tomorrow and I will put him in a clean glass to photograph.

Expect a photo by tomorrow night, if not this evening.

Thanks everyone!
Doc_Piscis

Post by Doc_Piscis »

Here is a photo of my juvi. I am embarrassed posting this lousy photo, but this is the best I could do tonight. I tried getting a good photo for 30 minutes. I even spent a while trying to catch him in a net, but my rockwork made it near impossible. I had one great shot of him/her on the white sand!!! Last second a yellow lab popped itself right in front of the Syno when I clicked.

Anyways, here is less than par photo. And it does not help that this syno is dark on a black blackground!

Chocky316
Location 1: Bellflower, California
Interests: FISH/SG-1/WWE/VIDEO GAMES/MOVIES

Post by Chocky316 »

my petricolas that size are gold with black spots and white barbels 8)
Does My Hair Look OK??

Go COWBOYS!!!

"PIMPIN' AIN'T EASY!!"

Return to “African Catfishes”