Fake Granulosis/White tip question

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
clydeboy
My cats species list: 19 (i:19, k:0)
Location 1: Cumbernauld
Location 2: cumbernauld
Interests: Football,wild bird photography,music

Fake Granulosis/White tip question

Post by clydeboy »

I bought a black syno about 4 months ago, and new at the time that it was a hybrid.
It was listed in the shop as a Granulosis x, so I knew what I was buying, but couldn't help myself as it is such a lovely fish.
I knew about the existence of fake grannies as I had read about them on here and just assumed that I had one of these.
I then read on a thread recently that someone had a white tipped synodontis which was hybrid4 on the cat-log and was the closest they would get to a granny so I had a look.
The head in the cat-e-log was what made me think that I had one of these, big eyes, dark colour etc, although mine is almost black. The flash in the pic has lightened the fish a bit especially on the underneath.
My fish appears to have the shape of the real grannies in those fantastic cat pics and is a bit of a looker, if not a bit more "nocturnal" than my other synos.
Now, I am under no illusions that my fish is anything other than a hybrid, that is not the question.
The question is

Are the fake grannies and white tips one in the same fish? and if so, is mine one or the other, if any?.

cheers
Ian
Attachments
faiths face.JPG
faith flash.JPG
My best "tip"

Don't stand up in a canoe
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Fake Granulosis/White tip question

Post by Richard B »

Your fish appears to be Synodontis hybrid 6.

There is a hybrid called whitefin (whitetip?) that is different & 'produced' by NHA. The problem is common names are applied to different species &/or different hybrids so pictures are the best way forward.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
clydeboy
My cats species list: 19 (i:19, k:0)
Location 1: Cumbernauld
Location 2: cumbernauld
Interests: Football,wild bird photography,music

Post by clydeboy »

Apologies
I put Hybrid 4 in my original post when I meant to put hybrid 6 (white tip synodontis).
I take it these were cross bred commercially yet there appears to only be one keeper of this fish listed in the cat-e-log.
Are they that uncommon? or is it just that people don't bother listing that they have any, as they are "merely hybrids".
It is a fantastic looking fish and like my other synos has a personality all of its' own.
It looks a lot "sleeker" than any of my others and seems to have prawns as its' preferred choice of food instead of the nuggets that the others go daft for.

thanks
Ian
My best "tip"

Don't stand up in a canoe
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

You summise correctly that not all keepers of this fish have them listed on this website (for whatever reason). They are not rare at all but then again not seen everywhere.

All hybrid synos are the product of man's interference (or commercially bred to put it another way).

Prawn, shrimp, mussell, oyster, crab & lobster are all relished by tanganyikan syno species so i suspect the granny heritage means your fish will wolf down prawn like there's no tomorrow :d
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010

Return to “What is my catfish?”