best food for Sorubim Lima

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Steve GT
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Gainsborough, Lincs

best food for Sorubim Lima

Post by Steve GT »

As above what do you guys feed them? iv seen theres a lot of owners of them on here just want to know the best thing for him to eat. at the min iv been feeding him on frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp. occasionally catfish pellets and earth worms. but he doesnt eat when i feed him like most catfish think he prefers to eat in the dark.

Looking to make them up a few treats now and again as well for him and the Ageneiosis so come on guys give me some recipes :)
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: best food for Sorubim Lima

Post by Richard B »

Like their bigger cousins, these fish do best when sporadically fed as opposed to regimented feeding - ie every few days os so once they are 6"+ rather than every day. Earthworms are a great food, but most meaty items should be tried to see what your fish prefers. Pieces of white fish, prawn and shrimp should be eaten readily but mussel, cockle could also be tried. They can be a bit skittish and almost timid to feed if they are not happy
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Redtailrob
My cats species list: 48 (i:20, k:11)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hertfordshire
Location 2: England
Interests: Rare Catfish, P Bass, Predatory Fish, Sport Mad, Boxing, Thai Boxing, Weight Lifting, Nutrition, Fishing, Oceanography, sharks, Natural world, Travel, Culture, Good coffee, Good wine, Foodie

Post by Redtailrob »

Some great advice from Richard there.
They can be Timid feeders especially when small, I'd go as far as to say it's probably the only Pim Ive kept that Ive not manged to convert to hand feeding.
They are also particulary fussy & nocturnal feeders when small/young.
All the usual food stuffs work well for these guys, in particular Pieces of Prawn, white fish, Cockles, Earthworms, Bloodworms etc.
My two 12"-14" approx also really enjoy Mascivore sinking pellet & also Cold water Sturgeon pellets - these are very small but have a very high oil & protein content so must only be fed in very small quantity's.
As Richard mentioned they do better when fed sporadically especially the bigger they get, mine for example are fed twice a week, once on a small amount of dried & then 3-4 days later on a mixture of whole Prawns & pieces of white fish.
Steve GT
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Gainsborough, Lincs

Post by Steve GT »

Thanks for the advice guys I'm feeding the marmoratus in a similar pattern as she was getting fed daily when I got her onto massivore pellets from live food and she started getting too full a belly and not moving at all so I now starve her 2 or 3 days do a good water change and she's nice and hungry sO il do the same with the Lima :)
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”