I now have S.Barbatus fry

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bsmith
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: St.Louis, MO

I now have S.Barbatus fry

Post by bsmith »

I started a new thread as my previous thread was only to ID the eggs and that was taken care of.

Here is the link to the original thread where I was trying to ID the eggs as I have S.Barbatus and Black Schultzeis in the tank.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =6&t=35385

I came home this evening to about 15 fry in the Tupperware container that I set up, floating of the surface of the tank the eggs were taken from with an air stone, a bit of moss and a couple pieces of IAL'S in it. It took roughly 4 days.

They are more than likely recently 'hatched' (not sure if that's the right term, but they did come from an egg...) as I have a pic of one that is still just a tail hanging from an egg and there are probably 15-20 more eggs that are not evacuated yet.

So I assume I should just keep doing as I have the previous days dumping ~90% of the water in the container and putting fresh water from the tank back in. I know there is no need to feed just yet as they have their egg sac but I'll say that their sacs arent that big it even yellow at all. This is in comparison to my L183 fry, FYI.

What's next or what should I do? I know I need to have a proper grow out for them, which I have but I just need to test the params in both tanks (spawning and grow out) before I should put them in. So as of right now, the only parameter I k ow is that the tank is 75 degrees!

I'll post up pics as soon as I go inside and get on my laptop.
Last edited by bsmith on 03 Mar 2012, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
bsmith

Re: I now have S.Barbatus fry

Post by bsmith »

Here are the pics. Much better then the ones of the eggs as they were taken with my phone. Nikon for the win!

The Tupperware lodgings.

The little ones.

Here you can see the fry that only has it's tail out.
jac
My articles: 3
My images: 71
My cats species list: 84 (i:0, k:28)
My BLogs: 15 (i:16, p:755)
Spotted: 45
Location 1: Ede
Location 2: Holland
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Post by jac »

Congratulations! Very nice b-)
Every great achievement begins with a dream ;-)
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Post by Coryologist »

Mr. Fuller was kind enough to create a sticky at the top of this forum on raising fry. You can't beat that information as a excellent starting point. Congrats on your wrigglers. Cheers. - Frank
RickE
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Post by RickE »

Congrats on the fry. They were (are!) my first 'Cory' spawning and I found them very robust and easy to raise. As Frank says, just follow Ian's sticky. Good luck!
Rick
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

Awesome. I have been corresponding with a pretty well known online wholesaler that raises Barbarus and she was saying that she had AB issue with young reaching a certain size and then ceasing to grow anymore. Ever heard of that?
Coryologist
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Post by Coryologist »

bsmith wrote:Ever heard of that?
Personally, I have not. My experience with S. barbatus and S. kronei is that once they make it past the 7 day mark, they are fairly bullet proof and grow quite rapidly, given frequent WC's and an extremely varied diet. Cheers. - Frank
RickE
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Post by RickE »

bsmith wrote:Awesome. I have been corresponding with a pretty well known online wholesaler that raises Barbarus and she was saying that she had AB issue with young reaching a certain size and then ceasing to grow anymore. Ever heard of that?
Sort of. I have a one year old that has stayed 'dwarfed' at around ¾". The rest of the brood were fine though.
Rick
Coryologist

Post by Coryologist »

RickE wrote:Sort of. I have a one year old that has stayed 'dwarfed' at around ¾". The rest of the brood were fine though.
That does happen in most any batch of fry. Some grow more slowly than others, some simply stop growing, completely. For whatever reason, I took the question as relating to the entire spawn. Nothing in the question indicated that. Simply the way what's left of my mind, functioned, today. Cheers. - Frank
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

So its day five and from my research that means its time to start feeding. Or is that supposed to be 4-5 days from hatching? Either way one premature feeding is better than a missed feeding I guess. Im just not seeing much of a yolk sac in comparison to my pleco fry, which is very obvious and yellow. These have a more clear/white head area that I suppose could be their yolk sacs.

I just crumbled into almost a powder, a mix of spirulina/egg/earthworm flakes and put it in the Tupperware after I poured out about 90% of the water, refilled with the water in the spawning tank, poured out 90% of the water and refilled (how I have been changing the water in the Tupperware daily). I'm planning on doing a water swap like I described above after a couple of hours of the food being in there.

The fry are looking great and I counted about 45 and I have only found one dead since hatching which was tonight and I removed it.

Pics.

corybrummie2010
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Birmingham UK

Post by corybrummie2010 »

Congrats on the spawning and great pics mate :-BD
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

I need to take some pics!

I have about 30 or so fry in the tupperware now with 15 or so being from the very first spawn I collected (I would have many more but I get lazy from time to time and dont change the water in the container/feed as much as I should). I have just been collecting eggs that they lay and putting them in the container with the other fry.

Im going to try to get another tank I have running the same parameters as the spawning tank to make this much easier for me.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”