Lets talk heaters

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Lets talk heaters

Post by plecomanpat »

hey guys looking for input and opinions on reliable and efficient heaters. After swapping out my 22 stealth heaters for mainly marineland viso-therms (only because they were an even swap and was no out of pocket cost) and not happy with the inconsistency of not only holding temps but operating altogether. There is nothing like doing a routine tank check and noticing the heater indicator light is on but its not functioning and the water is 71 degrees f.in my L29 breeders tank. Fluval has come out with a new line but on the pricey side...but am willing to make that compromise for reliability and efficiency...thanks in advance
Lets go Red Wings
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:8)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Re: Lets talk heaters

Post by characinkid »

Hi

I have used Ebo Jager, now Eheim Jager heaters for years and been very happy with them...

Tried Visitherms and others and not been so happy with them.

Would like to try and titanium heaters, I hear they are very good...

Looking forward to other opinions... experiences.

Thanks
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
zeebo
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: CT, USA

Post by zeebo »

Eheim jagger also.Comes with a 3 yr warranty. One downside, no cover, so if your plecs like to hide behind it ,could cause burns. Prob can get a cover on the net. After the initial calibration, I have not had to mess with it at all.
Georgie
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I like Jager a lot because they're nearly indestructable, but there are 2 things about Jager that could stand vast improvement

first there's the button or turnable knob on top.
now it's a wee bit less annoying than the old ones that were so stubborn you had to change the temperature by using a monkey wrench, but not much

then there's the size....
seriously, I know size does matter :d but still!
the higher wattage Jager are so big, you could use em as Louisville Slugger in the World Series.

impossible to hide em and only in the largest tanks you don't have to stuck em diagonally on a side window.

apart from that they work fine.

I never had a Jager break or crash on me, nor has one ever do the "fry all the fish trick" by having a bi-metal malfunction.

my experience with other brands range from adequate to disastrous.
Valar Morghulis
tomr
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:67)
Location 1: hamburg,NY
Location 2: hamburg, ny
Interests: L333, L66,All synos.L10a, LDA 31

Post by tomr »

The stealths were a recall, correct?
All Synos., L10a.plecos, all cats
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I have several Visitherm DeLuxe (the glass ones). They work really well (they do give the temperature they are set to, and I have yet to have one fail for other reasons than my stupidity - no heater is safe against that, I'd say).

--
Mats
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I've had Visitherms explode on me, bursting to pieces for no visible reason and setting the entire tank on a live current of 220 volts

no fun when you don't spot it and handfeed the fish.....really bad on the ticker!

the glass used is too thin for my comfort.
in my experience this is by ar the worst brand of heaters I know and also quite dangerous.

I know that clumsiness and stupidity caused damage in the past here too, but with Visitherm I've seen nasty tricks happening "out of the blue" where any other heater would just work fine.
Valar Morghulis
Matt30
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:9, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 3 (i:8, p:100)
Location 2: England. Surrey ,Caterham

Post by Matt30 »

I use Ehime Jägers for both my tanks, I have used many different heaters, but none that keep a constant temperature like the Jagers do.
I have to say that both heaters were not set up when I bought them, the numbers on the dial did not match the heat the heaters produced, bar that I can't fault them
"Justice is coming to all of us no matter what we do"-WATCHMEN
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: NW Indiana

Post by jp11biod »

I have also replace 14 Stealth heaters with Eheim Jaegers. Their design and materials are very impressive. ALso noted the dial on top is not reliable for selecting a termperature but once you get the temp you want, it will hold. They have only been in service for four months

I have to commend Foster and Smith for their customer support for replacing the units.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

MatsP wrote:I have several Visitherm DeLuxe (the glass ones). They work really well (they do give the temperature they are set to, and I have yet to have one fail for other reasons than my stupidity - no heater is safe against that, I'd say).

--
Mats
Not sure if they are the "deluxe" ones, but I bought two 300W Visitherms online from Aquacadabra when one of my <15 month old Rena Smartheater 300W died in the 5x2x2 just before Xmas (22nd December I think). Buying online was a gamble so close to Xmas, but just like in other times of crisis, this store came up trumps and they arrived on the 23rd! Honestly, within reason, Im more than happy to give this store the business even if I can source slightly cheaper... they are brilliant in times of need (eg. I broke the suction screw thread of the Aqua Medic powerhead while experimenting before installation, they organised a free replacement installation kit within days) :D

Even after carelessly twisting the top external cap, which in turn sheared the thermostat knob, I was able to install both without issue with perfect calibration (the broken one was given a week of testing for leaks with/without electricity in my fishless QT tub). Far better than my Rena or Juwels for accuracy, plus the protection guard is useful at preventing burns on silly fish like Synodontis nigriventris!
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Thriftyfisher
Location 1: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Location 2: Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Post by Thriftyfisher »

I have many different brands of heaters but the only ones I will buy now are the Jager. They just work and don’t give me problems. Other heaters I have just don’t hold water temperature or eventually stop working or worse boil the tank killing everything (well almost everything). You get what you pay for and in my opinion when it comes to heaters you get what you pay for and it is worth paying for a good one.
bigbird
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sydney, Australia
Location 2: Sydney, Australia
Interests: Ls, Fish, Aquatics, Viszlas and Family

Post by bigbird »

Jager are the best. cheers jk b-)
I am not perfect, but I say as I see it. Smile and enjoy Life
plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Post by plecomanpat »

Thanks for all the input guys...much appreciated. I was at the point of exchanging heaters at almost a daily rate it seems. Swapping out a broken heater (which came with a lifetime warranty)for another headache a couple weeks down the road. I will be replacing all my visitherms one at a time (for the reason of affordability) by the time its all said and done I will have close to $1500 invested in heaters alone. I think I might just buy a portable heater and heat the fish room :-b might be cheaper
Lets go Red Wings
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

plecomanpat wrote:I think I might just buy a portable heater and heat the fish room :-b might be cheaper
This is absolutely not a bad idea. As long as the room is reasonably well insulated, you shouldn't "loose" much this way. Drawback is that if you want to ahve different temperature in different tanks.. But having the odd tank warmer is just a case of sticking a heater into that one tanks (or a few tanks).

--
Mats

Return to “Tank Talk”