Accurate ID

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Accurate ID

Post by Coryologist »

Greetings. Can anyone supply a little better ID beyond what the exporter has supplied? They are 1.5". Cheers. - Frank

Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Re: Accurate ID

Post by Acanthicus »

Hi Frank,

you already have the correct ID written on the picture: Nannoptopoma sp. "Peru", an undescribed species. Due to the latest revision of the genus Hypoptopoma you can also call it Hypoptopoma, but if it really belongs there is another question.

cheers,
Daniel
Coryologist
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Post by Coryologist »

Thank you, Daniel. Being partial to any small species, I have become quite fond of these. While they appear quite happy and healthy after having them a few weeks, I have not actually seen them eat any of the various foods I have given them. Anything you can name that would be the most important part of their diet? TYVM. - Frank
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Post by Acanthicus »

They feed mostly on algae, and vegetables like salad, brussels sprouts and that stuff. If you have the possibility to put some stones into a small tank on the window ledge, I´d do that to produce large amounts of algae. Don´t put them into a clinical clean tank. Unfortunately I know more keepers who lost them than keepers who where lucky with this pretty fish.

edit: Sure you know this chinese "algaepaper"!? Thats quite good. Spirulinatabs as well.
Daniel
Coryologist

Post by Coryologist »

Acanthicus wrote:They feed mostly on algae, and vegetables like salad, brussels sprouts and that stuff. If you have the possibility to put some stones into a small tank on the window ledge, I´d do that to produce large amounts of algae. Don´t put them into a clinical clean tank. Unfortunately I know more keepers who lost them than keepers who where lucky with this pretty fish.
Thanks, again. I'll start growing some algae to supplement the small amount in my fish room. I hope they do well. I've just ordered 50 more, since I have not lost any of the original imports. Cheers. - Frank
James0816
My images: 8
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Virginia

Post by James0816 »

They do seem to like zucchini as well. I put in a couple of slices when I feed my other Otos. They hit it pretty quickly. Also, I do very little maintenance on the tank so as to encourage algae growth. Swapping out rocks is another good source. I keep a spare tank running now with just an air stone and a light on 24x7 for this.
RickE
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Post by RickE »

Beautiful fish and yet another stunning picture Frank ^:)^

I know there are some articles on PC and elsewhere, but how about an FF Masterclass in fish photography for us?
Rick
Coryologist

Post by Coryologist »

RickE wrote:Beautiful fish and yet another stunning picture Frank
Both my fish and I, thank you.
I know there are some articles on PC and elsewhere, but how about an FF Masterclass in fish photography for us?
I am not feigning humility when I tell you that just like my ability to have Corys spawn for me, I do not possess any important information or secret tips to impart to you. I simply use the best equipment that I can afford (or, not afford) and shoot hundreds of images to get the elusive keeper. I'm deadly serious. It pains me that people think that I am just being an obstinate SOB in this matter and am too selfish to share my "secret information." It's just not true.

Additionally, the pic in this thread is to me, barely acceptable and I only used it because I was frustrated at not getting a better one and was anxious to get an ID. This species is first on my list to reshoot in an effort to get an image that is acceptable, to my eyes.

I wish I saw what you see, but every time I am forced to look at that image, I want to yank it. lol. I promise you that I can and will do better.

I do appreciate your kind words. Cheers. - Frank
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I agree with what Frank says. There was a thread about fish photography before. There are, in my mind, three key elements to gettting a good photo:
1. A good camera + lens combination (note good is not necessarily expensive, and expensive certainly doesn't guarantee good).
2. Good lighting - whether using flash or existing tank lighting.
3. Patience, time and lots of attempts.

Of course, it's also critical to understand "what makes a good photo". This is a rather vague subject, and it can mean different things to different people (and even to different types of photos).

--
Mats
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Whilst it might not be best for the fish, a dedicated photo tank ensures a good opportunity to capture the fish close up.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Coryologist

Post by Coryologist »

Greetings. While I still not have managed to acquire an image that I am satisfied with, here are a few recent attempts. More soon. Cheers. - Frank

Return to “What is my catfish?”