Fish OK with TSA

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Fish OK with TSA

Post by Shane »

I compiled this from a thread at PVAS....

The home page of the TSA is www.tsa.gov.

The location of the "can I bring" tool is:

http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/

The correct term to type in as a search is "live fish." If you type that into the app, you will get the following result:

Live fish must be transported in a clear, plastic, spill proof container. In this case, the container may be larger than 3.4 ounces. A Transportation Security Officer will visually inspect your live fish at the checkpoint.
Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

Anyone tried this lately?
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

Re: Fish OK with TSA

Post by andregurov »

Great. So they allow them, as long as they allow them. :-O

I would worry that even if you show them documentation that the TSA allows live fish, you could still get a stubborn agent that denies their processing.
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

Furthermore, whether or not fish are allowed on your flight should be checked with your airline. For example, Delta specifically does not allow live fish as baggage, and only as cargo.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

i know ted judy has had issues in the not too distant past trying this. He (i believe) brought some cherry shrimp as a tester and they wouldn't allot it. We also had a speaker at our LFC buy some fish and try to take them back and they weren't able to take them back (once again, if my memory serves me correctly.)

I am tempted to try it when I go to Florida in september.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I will try this, when I come to the catfish convention this fall, just for the sake of information. I seriously doubt they will let anything through in that much water, but it won't hurt to try. The problem will be the people that are on a power trip and do not understand the rule about it.

Years ago I was flying from Kansas City to Anchorage. When I got to St. Louis to change flights I was informed that fish weren't allowed on the airplane (I had not changed airlines). I asked them how exactly they thought I'd managed to get them THERE! The flight attendant was quite rude and obviously having a bad day. He took my soft sided cooler, packed as a carry on with no heat packs and threw it in the hold of the plane. It was obviously crushed and getting it so wet cooled everything off. His day got worse when on arrival I inspected my half empty and almost all dead arrivals. That was back in the days without TSA inspection, mind you.

You will be the mercy of a single power mad official. Be sure you are armed with the reference to the exact regulation and a smile (well and a back up plan if the fish are irreplaceable!).

Barbie
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Here is another post from a PVAS thread
novafish wrote:I just wrote to the TSA address in the prior post. Here is the reply I received:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Transportation Security Administration’s policy for carrying live fish onboard a commercial airline.

Travelers passing through security checkpoints may carry liquids, gels, and aerosols if these are in containers 3.4 ounces or smaller and fit comfortably in
a single, quart-size, clear plastic, resealable bag (3-1-1 rule).

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) allows an exception to the 3-1-1 rule for live fish. The fish must be swimming in water that is contained
in a clear, spill-proof glass or plastic container. This allows Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) to visually inspect the fish at the screening checkpoint. If the fish is observed as alive and swimming, then the liquid is not considered an explosive and will be permitted through the checkpoint. The container holding live fish may be larger than 3.4 ounces. In addition, TSA recommends travelers contact their airlines to inquire about any additional guidelines the airlines may have regarding traveling with live fish.

We encourage all travelers to familiarize themselves with TSA Travel Tips prior to their trip. Our Web site, http://www.tsa.gov, has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist in preparing for air travel. Passengers can go directly to these tips at http://www.TSATravelTips.us.
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
jogeorge
Location 2: US

Post by jogeorge »

I imagine this to be very stressful on the fish, I wouldn't want to keep them in any form of container for too long. I would avoid this if I can, even it is allowed, doesn't make it a good idea or convenient to do.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA

Post by Barbie »

Transporting them this way would actually be faster than the normal shipping methods ;).

Barbie
nvcichlids

Post by nvcichlids »

anyone have an example of a type of container that would work that still allows the fish to breathe? If it cannot spill water that would mean it has to be air tight.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I would assume the normal plastic bag would fit in their description of a 'container'

when in doubt - inquire.
cats have whiskers
nvcichlids

Post by nvcichlids »

" glass or plastic container"

I guess i missed this part.. I don't see myself using the glass, but a plastic bag should meet the guidelines.

BTW, what are the breather bags made of, are they still plastic?
irshprncsk
My cats species list: 62 (i:7, k:3)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 21
Location 1: Omaha NE

Post by irshprncsk »

I actually did this with wild-caught native fish traveling from ORD to SEA in 2014. Anyone that has gone thru security at ORD knows the TSA agents can be *crankier* than other airports. However, I had little issue going through with over 30 fish singly or 2-to-a-bottle. They were in plastic water bottles in a suitcase. They inspected every fish (and several agents came over to check them out and remark how cool they were) and while the inspector gave me several snide comments about potentially collecting endangered species (when I offered to key out with her each fish individually, she replied "oh I know none of these are endangered species, I'm just saying" *smh*) I was out of security within 15 minutes of "my turn."
My suggestions would be to use a leakproof container as once the plane is pressurized the water tends to be forced out of the bottles; or prepare to open each and reclose after takeoff to equalize the pressure. Don't ask why I know this....
Also labeling each bottle with the species, quantity, and place of collection/purchase would probably be helpful. I had also printed the page from the TSA site describing their inspection process as most layperson agents had no clue. I'll be collecting again in May flying from STL to SEA this time. Last time I didn't lose a single fish.

Upon arrival at SEA:

In their quarantine tank:
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:3)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

I checked fish through to Springfield, MA last summer for the ACA convention. I have a small styro that fits inside my suitcase. The airline will not look inside your bags so as long as you don't tell the agent you have them the airline will never know. TSA will X-ray the bag but that's harmless to the fish and it doesn't violate their rules.

On the way back I carried a bag of fish through. The TSA agent simply called a supervisor over who visually inspected the bag that the fish were alive and let me through. Luckily, I have never had a TSA agent that was ignorant of their rules and gave me a problem. Most were simply curious or excited about something different from their normal routine.

I do always carry a printout of the live fish page of the TSA website just in case.

Andy

Return to “Speak Easy”