Outdoor Tanks

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
archaquatics
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: DeSoto MO
Location 2: DeSoto, MO
Interests: all types of plecos and corys

Outdoor Tanks

Post by archaquatics »

Outdoor tanks going up for the summer!!!!!

Built 2 bucket filters today and got the first of three outdoor tanks up today http://archaquatics.com/?page_id=256

it is 165 gallons and will be home to horn wart and about 40 blue gene carrying Jack Dempsey's

And After a mod for the final Filters

Second one is an old nickle framed 90 that will have a group of corys, 2 pair of bristle nose and a group of white clouds in it

The last one will be a bath tub for daphnia
Visit our website Arch Aquatics

Check out our auction listings HERE
Thriftyfisher
Location 1: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Location 2: Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Re: Outdoor Tanks

Post by Thriftyfisher »

Nice set up. Those fish are going to love being outside and should show great color by the end of the summer. With lots of plants you should get crazy amounts of white clouds, although the Corys will probably love the eggs. But that will get them to breed and if you remove the eggs should have more Cory fry then you know what to do with in short order.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Outstanding work on the filters. You will have some good summer fun with these tanks.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
arthos
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
Location 2: Belgium

Post by arthos »

Very nice, can u tell me more of the "coldness" reactor?
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: NW Indiana

Post by jp11biod »

I dont know anything about outdoor tanks but I would like to learn.

What is going on here and why?

what is a 'coldness reactor' and what else is in the buckets?
archaquatics

Post by archaquatics »

A "Kaldnes" reactor is a fluidized media filter. The media is constantly moving and banging into each other creating a hostile environment for bacteria and biofilm to colonize.

Now granted normal run of the mill bacteria can survive for a time in the reactor, it is intended for only the most aggressive and strong bacteria to colonize and thrive in.

Through this aggressive bacteria you have perhaps the best ammonia->nitrite->nitrate conversion possible through modern day filtration

We are slowly switching over all of our 50+ tanks to reactors with over 50% already totally on them. Every new tank that comes online in the fish room now has a Kaldnes reactor in it as its sole source of filtration!

Kaldnes reactors are the way of the future and a serious upgrade on the tried and true sponge filter.

archaquatics

Post by archaquatics »

Thriftyfisher wrote:Nice set up. Those fish are going to love being outside and should show great color by the end of the summer. With lots of plants you should get crazy amounts of white clouds, although the Corys will probably love the eggs. But that will get them to breed and if you remove the eggs should have more Cory fry then you know what to do with in short order.

I figure what i lose in white clouds i will more then make up for in cory fry LOL

i do believe that my group of old geriatric peppers are going to be the ones that go outside for the summer. These old fish have been of great service and are well over 4 years old but still spawn regularly.

The females are huge so i should get a couple fry back come fall.

I just got blacks but they are not ready to spawn yet.

My bronzes already have a 75 to them selves and are spawning like mad with over 100 of their little ones already growing up in the same tank with them

possibly move the pandas out......IDK

i got a good month or more till it will be warm enough to move fish out there so i got time to decide

Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

As corydoras can live for 10 years or more, a group will not be geriatric after 4 years

on a sidenote, C paleatus is very cold tolerant, they are said to survive under ice but will certainly do well around 10 C (~52 F)- assuming the water temp is lowered gradually
cats have whiskers
plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Post by plecomanpat »

Looks great and I am intrigued with this Kaldness reactor...but I would shy away from the buckets on a piece of O.S.B. or plywood for that matter over the top of an open top tank, due to the fact that the glue used in both products is toxic and could leech into the water....ENJOY
Lets go Red Wings
archaquatics

Post by archaquatics »

plecomanpat wrote:Looks great and I am intrigued with this Kaldness reactor...but I would shy away from the buckets on a piece of O.S.B. or plywood for that matter over the top of an open top tank, due to the fact that the glue used in both products is toxic and could leech into the water....ENJOY

It was just used for testing the filters and will be replaced with a screen top once the other tank is sat up

Gotta keep the coons/possums and such outta the tanks

plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Post by plecomanpat »