Hara minuscula and Neocaridina heteropoda

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
pel
My cats species list: 3 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 2: Germany

Hara minuscula and Neocaridina heteropoda

Post by pel »

Hey fellow Catfishers,

i was thinking to add some shrimp to my 54L tank in order to provide him with food and help to keep the fishtank clean! :)

Does anyone have experience with haras and shrimp? How bothering can they be? Will any shrimp be left alive o will the hara try to kill'em all? b-) \M/

Greetz,
Philip
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Re: Hara minuscula and Neocaridina heteropoda

Post by Taratron »

I can't find a size for this hara in the Cat-elog, but I have Hara jerdoni (or at least that is what they were sold to me as) in a tank with red cherry shrimp culls, and I've never noticed a drop in population to the point I worry. Should be fine, unless your fish is large enough to eat adults!
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

I have the same experience with H. jerdoni and cherry shrimp as Taratron; as far as I can tell the species do not interact in any way at all.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
pel
My cats species list: 3 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 2: Germany

Post by pel »

Thanks for your replies!

I am a little bit disappointed thought the shrimps could be a good food supply. :(( But as long as there is no stress for the Hara it seems like a good idea.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”