Bought these as SAEs ... I don't think so.

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
This Old Spouse
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Location 1: northern Minnesota USA
Location 2: northern Minnesota USA

Bought these as SAEs ... I don't think so.

Post by This Old Spouse »

Are these flying foxes?

55g: Tetra: 4 serpae; 1 vonRio; 9 bloodfin; 11 longfin black skirt; 1 silver tip; Corydoras: 4 delphax; 1 ambiacus; 8 aeneus (2 albino, 6 bronze); 1 flying fox | 20g: Corydoras: 2 paleatus; 2 schlermomystax barbatus; red cherry shrimp; 1 flying fox | 29g: 13 tiger barbs; 5 red eye tetra; 1 flying fox
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Re: Bought these as SAEs ... I don't think so.

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

I am not very familiar with these fish, but I think your fish is Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus (flying fox)
Here is a link that may be helpful.

These fish are Cyprinids, not Catfish b-)
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
Arlington
My cats species list: 8 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 2: San Antonio, TX

Post by Arlington »

I'm not positive but I think that your fish may be what I've always heard called a "false SAE". The gold line above the black line and the black line is smooth where it meets the gold line. In a true SAE the black line is rough and there is not a gold line at all. If I'm correct this fish(the one in your pics) will get to about 6inches and will be hostile when it gets older as well as territorial towards any actual SAE you may add later.

Edited "I'm not positive but I think that your fish may be a "false" flying fox." to what I intended to say "I'm not positive but I think that your fish may be what I've always heard called a "false SAE"."
Last edited by Arlington on 06 May 2012, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
This Old Spouse

Thanks for your help.
55g: Tetra: 4 serpae; 1 vonRio; 9 bloodfin; 11 longfin black skirt; 1 silver tip; Corydoras: 4 delphax; 1 ambiacus; 8 aeneus (2 albino, 6 bronze); 1 flying fox | 20g: Corydoras: 2 paleatus; 2 schlermomystax barbatus; red cherry shrimp; 1 flying fox | 29g: 13 tiger barbs; 5 red eye tetra; 1 flying fox
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Dave is correct. This is Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus.
Arlington wrote:I'm not positive but I think that your fish may be a "false" flying fox.
Without a scientific name I can't know exactly what you're talking about, but it is not Garra cambodgiensis, a fish sometimes refereed to under that name.
This Old Spouse

They're definitely Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus. And from what I've been reading, it's doubtful I'll find a true Siamese algae eater in the U.S. But I will try making contact with the one supplier mentioned in the article referenced. Thanks again.
racoll

Post by racoll »

This Old Spouse wrote:it's doubtful I'll find a true Siamese algae eater in the U.S.
Again without scientific names, it's hard to know precisely which fish you are talking about, but, I think the fish you are after (i.e. the one sold as Crossocheilus siamensis, the Siamese algae eater), are in fact C. langei or C. atrilimes, and are readily available in the trade.
This Old Spouse

Really? That's excellent!
racoll

Post by racoll »

Well, they are ubiquitous in Europe, Singapore and New Zealand, but I can't say for sure about the States. Local markets will differ to some extent. Maybe someone else can confirm?
plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Post by plecomanpat »

Here in michigan the SAE are readily available...so much so that the price has dropped considerably due to the fact that they are now being captive bred, and by a local hobbyist as well....regards Pat
Lets go Red Wings
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

I'm curious if the breeder has contact info. I had a surprise spawn from a trio C. langei last month and was unable to collect the eggs before they got eaten. I had planned on trying again during the most recent rainy season on that rack, but couldn't clear tank space for them. The rainy season changes are the only thing I can figure could've triggered them because I wasn't doing anything else special. I'd like to find someone I can share notes with because there isn't a lot of info out there about spawning habits.

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Post by plecomanpat »

I will ask the friend of mine that works at my LFS, he knows the guy breeding them and that is where they get their stock from...regards, Pat
Lets go Red Wings

Return to “Tank Talk”