If this is O. vittatus - from where does it come?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Arturo
Location 2: Spain Canary Islands

If this is O. vittatus - from where does it come?

Post by Arturo »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and would like to begin with an Id-question (and apologize for my bad english - sorry!). Usually we don't get the right names of some 'current' fish in the pet-shops here, specially when its Otocinclus. When I bought mine, I was told 'oh, don't remember the name, something with 'a', the most common, anyway' - so I believed it to be 'affinis' (gorgeous name for it,by the way) because affinis is the name 'mostly found' over here. Now, three months later, all of them are doing very well, I started a search for the real ID. And found out, that it is not likely to be 'affinis', but 'vittatus'.
Can anyone confirm this?
Not only because I want to know which fish it is, but ... I'm keeping them in a aquarium without heater, now it has about 23ºC, but in the beginning it was about 18- 19ºC. This would be to low, if 'vittatus' comes from Venezuela - not necessarily if it lives in the La Plata region. I've found both infos. Can someone help?
P5092552a.jpeg
P5072514.JPG
P6042853.JPG
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Re: If this is O. vittatus - from where does it come?

Post by Mike_Noren »

Yes, that's O. vittatus. Fishes going by that name have an impossibly huge distribution, from Venezuela to Argentina, and in reality it's almost guaranteed to be a species complex of many similar species. It's impossible to say where your fish is from, but playing the collecting odds I'd say probably from the brazilian amazon, it's less likely that it's from peru, and improbable that it's from any other country. I'd recommend treating it as a fully tropical fish.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
Arturo
Location 2: Spain Canary Islands

Re: If this is O. vittatus - from where does it come?

Post by Arturo »

Thank You, I'll be controlling the temps for these three. Up to now, they showed no signs of feeling uncomfortable, growing up to now. I think, they don't get bigger.

Return to “What is my catfish?”