Pond Build

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Pond Build

Post by Shane »

The pond keeps attracting life and the first predator showed up. The pond is now full of 100s (1,000s?) of cherry barb and white cloud fry. Yesterday I went down to check and found a small water snake cruising the pond. I am hoping he was just after the frogs as there are now two spp of frogs that have taken up full time residence. I can go down to the pond at night and spotlight the frogs sitting on the pond's edge. I am not sure if the frogs will eat the fish, but am not really worried as there are more fish in there than I could ever figure out what to do with. We are loving the sound of frog calls at night while on the back patio.

The Corydoras have not been seen in several days. I am hoping they are ok. I need to clean the pond filter today so plan to have a look around for them.

Plants are growing like crazy. The Hyacinth especially. I started with two bunches and it now covers half the pond.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Cleaned the filter and came across the Corydoras all looking very fat and happy. I searched long and hard and saw some bottom "hopper" fry but could not be sure if they were corys or something else.

I placed all the hyacinth in a tub to get to the filter. When I put the hyacinth back in, the small amount of water left in the tub held a massive amount of small creatures. The concentration of live foods must be crazy in there. The oldest white clouds are easily .5" (1.25cm) and have adult coloration. Keep in mind that their parents were just added to the pond three and a half weeks ago! It would be impossible to get that kind of growth rate rearing them in an aquarium.

The guy below could not be bothered to move the entire time I worked on the pond.

-Shane
Attachments
DSC_0722.JPG
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: NW Indiana

Post by jp11biod »

probably the baby sitter--
bigbird
Location 1: Sydney, Australia
Location 2: Sydney, Australia
Interests: Ls, Fish, Aquatics, Viszlas and Family

Post by bigbird »

wow it has turned out really well for you.
Remember do not kiss the frog, it is only a kids story :))
cheers jk
I am not perfect, but I say as I see it. Smile and enjoy Life
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Took a couple of scoops from the pond yesterday.
-Shane
Attachments
DSC_0723.JPG
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Wow, if a couple of random scoops netted you that, I can't imagine how many fish are in there.
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

Shane, do you have a thermometer on your pond? We've been having some very hot weather here. I imagine it's similar by you. Any idea what the temp is going up to during the day?
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

I can't imagine how many fish are in there.
Me neither. I took two bags of about 50 fry (which did not make much of a dent in the population) to the auction this weekend and made $22.00. I have now added two big male and seven female Congo tetras, which should turn an even better profit. I figured the remaining 100s of minnow fry would fatten up the tetras for spawning, but they have not eaten any of the fry. Go figure.
Shane, do you have a thermometer on your pond? We've been having some very hot weather here. I imagine it's similar by you. Any idea what the temp is going up to during the day?
I sure do. Yesterday was warm. Ambient temperature was 104F (40C). The pond at 1700 hrs was 84.2F (29C). At 0700 this morning it was down to 80.4F (26.8C).

-Shane
crkinney
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:14)
Location 2: Orange city fl. USA
Interests: Hunt ,fish ,watch fish and P.O. the wife
nick name MULE

Post by crkinney »

Thats a fine looking bullfrog and they are good eats. I have a little snake problem in my outside pound can you say cottenmouth.I can. had three come to visit sofar .
mule
danoar
Location 2: CA, USA

Post by danoar »

My friend and I are actually thinking of starting a similar thing which I think will be great and all that.

But looking at how they are going to be made and all that, it would be great to be able to make them work just like that.

And interestingly, all the other components needed to run a pond would be that easy ti make sure and contend with.
Deb
I've donated: $75.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 8
My cats species list: 38 (i:21, k:0)
Spotted: 11
Location 2: Virginia USA

Post by Deb »

Shane, it looks great! And considering the temps these days, keeping the pond in the 80's is pretty good. :-BD
Please post if and when any turtles show up. There was an article in the paper around here a couple of years ago about the Eastern box turtle. It said we weren't seeing them as much as we used to and what to do if one shows up in your back yard.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Thanks Deb, I have been out of town but will get some updates posted soon. I moved a group of Congo tetras in (Thanks Linus!) and am awaiting the first fry. They should prove much more profitable than the white clouds.
-Shane
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

I meant to update this last fall when I took everything apart for the winter. This is what things looked like by fall. Look at Linus' Congos after a summer outside! I can also add "Accomplished Bullfrog Spawner" to my resume.
-Shane
Attachments
DSC_0744 (3).JPG
DSC_0742 (2).JPG
DSC_0729 (5).JPG
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

This is what I want to build for my dad, just off of their patio. Maybe I can show him it and he'll be on board.
What's your favorite Dressing~~

Return to “Speak Easy”