Corydoras paleatus - Breeding Size

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Darren Balch
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Essex England

Corydoras paleatus - Breeding Size

Post by Darren Balch »

Good Afternoon,

Being a relative newcommer to breeding Corydoras I would regard myself as being quite sucessful as i have so far managed to breed 5 types in past 9 months or so (, , , Corydoras aeneus Albino & ).

By far the easiest and most prolific have been the . I have a small group of 7 or 8 individuals which seem to be laying eggs a couple of times a week minimum, with the occassional week gap depending on how hot the weather is. The breeding group is housed in a 4 ft community tank and most of the fish seem to leave the eggs alone long enough for me to collect and place into breeding nets which i have in good flow parts of the tank. Once they are a 4 or 5 weeks old and feeding ok i transfer them into a 2ft grow out tank which seems to work well until they are large enough to sell on to my LFS. On saturday I noticed that the last batch of fish approx 6-8 weeks old (i should really keep better records) have started laying eggs already.

Ive never had this before with such young fish. Should i try and seperate males and females as soon as i think i can tell them apart or just leave them to get on with it? Ideally i guess its not a great idea to leave them as they could be related?

I am also currently trying to condition 2 other groups of Corys ( & ) so will update as and when there is some progress.

Any thoughts greatfully received.

Regards,

Darren
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Re: Corydoras paleatus - Breeding Size

Post by Coryologist »

Greetings Darren. I would venture to guess that your 6 to 8 week old fish are not laying eggs. While I used to believe that it took a year for most Corys to reach sexual maturity, I have found 9 months to be a more realistic figure. I have never witnessed any group of Corys spawn in under 7 months and I don't think you will find many, if any, Cory keepers who claim to have documented any spawns in less than that time frame.

Just my 2¢. I'd be curious to see what others have to say on the subject. Cheers. - Frank
mummymonkey
I've donated: $47.26!
My articles: 2
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:8, p:104)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Blairgowrie (UK)
Location 2: Blairgowrie (UK)
Interests: Fish, Ornithology

Re: Corydoras paleatus - Breeding Size

Post by mummymonkey »

The small species (hastatus etc.) will spawn from around 6 months. Other than that 9 - 12 months seems to be typical with a few species keeping you waiting much longer.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”