Help, My Pleco has a disease!!!

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
jellymonster
Location 2: Britain

Help, My Pleco has a disease!!!

Post by jellymonster »

Hi,

I have an L091 Pleco that I have had for 2 years. Last week he developed a white patch on it's head. It wasn't raised or flakey, so I just kept an eye on it.

Today he has gone very patchy! Nearly all white!
http://i.imgur.com/LV96E.jpg

What can I do to help him! When I got home it looked like my shrimp were bothering him, so I have moved them to a small 30l tank. I don't know if I would be better to put the pleco in there instead?

Please help.
tagamasid1023
My cats species list: 35 (i:35, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Chicago, IL
Interests: Leporacanthicus Triactis & Leporacanthicus Heterodon

Re: Help, My Pleco has a disease!!!

Post by tagamasid1023 »

Nasty patch :-O . Never experienced anything like that with my L091s. It looks like a fungal infection. Isthe L091 still able to eat? How is it behaving lately? Was there any new addition to your tank? I believe it is best to isolate this L091 and treat it in a separate tank.
Jay1
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 2: STOCKPORT

Post by Jay1 »

Hi. Have a look at this thread...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =5&t=35868

Have a look at the pictures and see if it's similar. Hopefully nothing to worry about.
tagamasid1023

Post by tagamasid1023 »

IMO this is different situation from the case above. The L091 is in pretty bad shape - thin with dilapidated/decaying fins. Seems like it could use more meat in its diet. Furthermore, the eyes have started to blur which is not the case with the L007 which maintained its eye colouration. Then again I am not the expert. I hope the big shots would kindly share their perspective.
Jay1
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 2: STOCKPORT

Post by Jay1 »

Apologies, I didn't see the link to the picture first time round. I agree with you Tagamasid, not the same condition as my L007. Your L91 really doesn't look well. As per Tagamasid asked, what's it's diet/tank mates etc? I think you need to take rapid action as the fish looks extremely ill.

The shrimp are more than likely eating the decaying skin.

It's important you diagnose what caused it. My first thoughts are diet. Keep us updated.
çaykaralı
My cats species list: 6 (i:915, k:3043)
Location 1: TÜRKİYE
Location 2: Türkiye / BURSA
Interests: CATFİSH;L144,L333,L134,L046,L260,L340.

Post by çaykaralı »

For most bacterial infections, I prefer to try dosing the tank with tetracycline before moving on to more exotic medications. It's a good broad spectrum that is often overlooked for more modern medications.

You mention the head, so I think I have an idea of what you're going through. I fought a similar bacteria this summer due to heat, and tetracycline did clear it up. It is important to treat for a full ten days, and no water changes for at least a week after the treatment to allow it to work. After that, I do a 75% water change to dilute the color from the water and allow the rest to dissipate on its own. Do not change/clean filters during treatment till at least one week after the water change. The bacterial balance is effected by this medication and it may cause an ammonia spike if you do.
CATFİSH İS MY LİFE
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

çaykaralı, if you're going to quote me, please let it be known where the info came from. This is literally word for word.

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
tagamasid1023

Post by tagamasid1023 »

Is this L091 still alive? :YMPRAY:

Return to “Tank Talk”