Bad news, good news and a bit of a mystery

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
RickE
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Bad news, good news and a bit of a mystery

Post by RickE »

First let's get the bad news out of the way - unfortunately, this one's dead. It's about 1cm long and I just found it it my 350L during a water change.

The good news is that something seems to have bred. As yet, I can't spot any others.

The mystery is I don't know what. It could be L201-type (never confirmed exactly what they are), L264, or (I'm hoping) L183. Sorry the photos aren't great, I'll try and get some better ones later.

Any guesses on ID and age?
sfb1.jpg
sb1.jpg
udg2.jpg
Rick
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Re: Bad news, good news and a bit of a mystery

Post by Suckermouth »

My gut feeling is that it doesn't look like an Ancistrus fry, and that it could reasonably be a Hypancistrus. I've never bred Leporacanthicus but if I recall correctly their supraoccipital bump is pretty obvious in juveniles.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
RickE
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Re: Bad news, good news and a bit of a mystery

Post by RickE »

Having looked through the juvenile pics on PC, I reckon it is going to be the L201-types. Hopefully we'll see some live ones to confirm soon!
Rick

Return to “What is my catfish?”