SA Bumblebee Catfish health issues

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
linuxrulesusa
My cats species list: 18 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:0)
Location 2: SE Michigan

SA Bumblebee Catfish health issues

Post by linuxrulesusa »

I'm not 100% certain what is going on with my SA bumblebee cats. Would appreciate any advice on what's happening and how best to treat.

Here's two pics:

and

Sorry for low picture quality - they were taken on my phone. I can try to post better pics later.

What seems to be going on is a bit of damage to the barbels on one or two, which might be due to a small cichlid that was nipping at them. So I moved him out.

The more puzzling issue is some whitish patches on the surface of the skin. It's not ick, as I'm familiar with that - no salt-like raised cysts. Also the spots are not fuzzy like a cotton wool type infection. Instead, it's almost like the color is missing from those patches and/or the skin is rubbed slightly.

I've been keeping these catfish (8 of them) for about the last month in a 40 gallon breeder tank (36"x18"x18") with a fairly smooth but large grain pool filter sand as the substrate. Filter was a Tetra Whisper 60 rated around 300 gallons/hour, plus a large sponge filter. Their tankmates were some Cryptoheros cutteri cichlids, 2 banjo catfish, anda group of bronze cories.

I did notice that nitrates were high (around 80) due to less frequent water changes recently and perhaps overcrowding in the tank. To fix that, I've put a more powerful filter (to do a better job sucking up the waste), plus did several large water changes (30-50%) in the past week, plus moved out some of the fish to help with nitrates.

I also temporarily moved the bumblebees into their own tank (~7-8 gallons) with a sponge filter and heater so I could treat them separately if needed.

Any suggestions on what might be going on with them? Nitrates too high irritating their skin and then secondary infection of some kind?
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Re: SA Bumblebee Catfish health issues

Post by grokefish »

A larger filter will not solve a nitrate problem.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

If you think a fish might have problems with nitrates, only a water change will solve that - and waterchanges are cheap and almost all fishes can have them unlimited.

So I suggest doing these more often
cats have whiskers
linuxrulesusa

Post by linuxrulesusa »

Right, I realize that a bigger filter will only help in the sense of if there is waste sitting on the substrate, getting some of that up so that it is not polluting the water. And I realize I need to do water changes more often as those are the only way to long term solve high nitrates.

What I want help with is identifying if possible common issues one might encounter with this fish so I know how to treat it, beyond just water changes. If I need to get better pictures or provide more info, please let me know.
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

Generally speaking, I find Microglanis very easy to keep - not demanding at all

but then, I keep them with cichlids with are quite fuzzy regarding the cleanness of their water. You will agree, if I keep the water pollution under 3, all fish wich accept 4 are 'eazy'.
cats have whiskers
linuxrulesusa

Post by linuxrulesusa »

Bas Pels wrote:Generally speaking, I find Microglanis very easy to keep - not demanding at all

but then, I keep them with cichlids with are quite fuzzy regarding the cleanness of their water. You will agree, if I keep the water pollution under 3, all fish wich accept 4 are 'eazy'.
Which cichlids do you keep them with, and are 3/4 arbitrary numbers, or what level of nitrates do they correspond to? Thanks.
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

3 and 4 are arbitrarily

My Microglanis are from Uruguay, and I keep them with Gymnogeophagus, which are sensitive to polluted water
cats have whiskers
linuxrulesusa

Post by linuxrulesusa »

Bas Pels wrote:3 and 4 are arbitrarily

My Microglanis are from Uruguay, and I keep them with Gymnogeophagus, which are sensitive to polluted water
Thanks, I'll use that as a starting point for testing and determining how frequently I should do water changes for the microglanis.
mg7454
My cats species list: 4 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Location 2: S.E. United States
Interests: Fish keeping.
Deep sea sport-fishing.
Science fiction.

Post by mg7454 »

Check out this link:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disea ... mnaris.htm

I hope this helps.
Also, consider SeaChem's ParaGuard if applicable to whatever this may be. It works great and did not negatively effect my catfish when used to treat them for 10 consecutive days.
Here is a link:
http://www.seachem.com/Products/Medications.html
Good luck, and do those water changes!
I do not recommend salt for catfish, use an air-stone close to the surface of the water and air-pump instead.
If I am not online, I am doing a water change!
linuxrulesusa

Post by linuxrulesusa »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had one die on its own and then two more I culled as they were pretty far gone ad I was more concerned about losing other fish. The other five seem to be in better shape. Two have virtually no syptoms. One has a bit of a barbel problem which should clear up with water changes. The other two have some deterioration of fins but only on the edges, nothing severe.

Next time I will quarantine longer and try to make a better diagnosis early on, as the approach for treating ick (what I've encountered most often before) and columnaris seem to be quite opposite - one needs high heat to resolve and the other becomes more dangerous at high heat.
mg7454
Deep sea sport-fishing.
Science fiction.

Post by mg7454 »

Sorry to hear about your fish losses.
Have you diagnosed the problem? It is hard to tell from the picture; however, it looks like columnaris aka saddle-back.
I am sure that you know that just because some of your fish seem fine now, they may already be infected.

Yes, the treatment for ich and columnaris are different, which is why I said try the ParaGuard if applicable.
I hope things go well for you and your fishes.

Best wishes!
Last edited by mg7454 on 24 Jan 2013, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
linuxrulesusa

Post by linuxrulesusa »

mg7454 wrote:Sorry to hear about your fish losses.
Have you diagnosed the problem?
I am sure that you know that just because some of your fish seem fine now, they may already be infected.
Yes, the treatment for ich and columnaris are different, which is why I said try the ParaGuard if applicable.
I hope things go well for you and your fishes.

Best wishes!
I am fairly certain the ones that died, died of a combination of poor water quality and a variant of columnaris and or secondary infections.

The ones that have survived seem to be improving. I will continue to do more frequent water changes in that tank and monitor for additional symptoms. Appreciate the help.
mg7454
Deep sea sport-fishing.
Science fiction.

Post by mg7454 »

Yikes!
Your reply was quick! I edited my post, and found you had already replied!
Please let us know how it goes.

Again,
Best wishes!
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
And I realize I need to do water changes more often as those are the only way to long term solve high nitrates.
They aren't, plants offer multiple advantages over just a filter and water changes. Actively growing plants remove ammonia (NH3) and nitrite(NO2) before they ever enter nitrification, and they take up its product (NO3) as well. They are also net oxygen producers.

I still perform regular water changes and have a lot of biological filtration, but I only keep planted tanks, because plants are the thing that makes fish keeping easier.

Have a look at this thread <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =4&t=36231> & link (apologies for the cross-post), despite its title it covers a lot of biological filtration as well:
"Aeration and dissolved oxygen in the aquarium" - <http://plecoplanet.com/?page_id=829>

cheers Darrel
linuxrulesusa

Post by linuxrulesusa »

dw1305 wrote:Hi all,
And I realize I need to do water changes more often as those are the only way to long term solve high nitrates.
They aren't, plants offer multiple advantages over just a filter and water changes. Actively growing plants remove ammonia (NH3) and nitrite(NO2) before they ever enter nitrification, and they take up its product (NO3) as well. They are also net oxygen producers.

I still perform regular water changes and have a lot of biological filtration, but I only keep planted tanks, because plants are the thing that makes fish keeping easier.

Have a look at this thread <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =4&t=36231> & link (apologies for the cross-post), despite its title it covers a lot of biological filtration as well:
"Aeration and dissolved oxygen in the aquarium" - <http://plecoplanet.com/?page_id=829>

cheers Darrel
I overstated my case. What I should have said was that water changes would be the long-term solution for me. I do keep plants in some of my tanks but they don't work well in my CA cichlid tanks because of how much they dig pits all over in the substrate. And that's where these catfish are at the moment. Ideally I'd keep these catfish in their own tank but I don't have enough tanks at the moment to do that. I am working on reducing fish density in my tanks to make maintenance easier.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
I do keep plants in some of my tanks but they don't work well in my CA cichlid tanks because of how much they dig pits all over in the substrate. And that's where these catfish are at the moment.
I can see the difficulty, but the plants don't have to be planted in the tank, in fact floaters and emergents offer great advantages because they have access to aerial CO2.

Have a look at "Hydrophytes" Riparium threads for a different approach <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... e+riparium>.

cheers Darrel

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”