Synodontis congica and Microsynodontis "fish juggle" dilemma

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Synodontis congica and Microsynodontis "fish juggle" dilemma

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

I'm in the middle of moving fish around (once again), partly due to an impending holiday and also because of slight concerns about whether some of the more timid fish are getting outcompeted for food in their current combinations... Some input from others would be very much appreciated!

My Synodontis congica is by far the most timid syno in general behavior I have and its feeding boldness is not much better, I've become increasingly concerned (perhaps for no reason) while my Ilyodon xantusi have been brought inside for the winter in a 48x18x18. After a quarantine period, I did try adding a Synodontis brichardi to the congica's tank last autumn, but "world war 3" kicked off within seconds and so the brichardi was promptly pulled out.
So my congica options are:-
Move it to my 181x43.5x41cm mainly "Congo rapids" theme tank (~22cm SL Synodontis notata; 20x ~4.5cm SL Pareutropius cf. madevillei; 2x ~5cm SL Steatocranus cf. ultraslender/tinanti; 5x ~12cm SL mixed Euchilichthys spp.; possibly 7x ~4.5cm SL Ambastaia sidthimunki; 11x 4-7cm SL Synodontis cf. nigriventris and 5x ~5cm SL Phenacogrammus nigropterus [both to be moved into here the next few hours]) while moving the 3 Synodontis brichardi into the 48x18x18.
Move it to my 48x12x15 (1x ~7cm SL Pantodon buchholzi; 4x ~8-11cm Ctenopoma acutirostre; 1x ~7cm SL Chrisichthys ornatus).
Keep it in the 48x18x18 (7x ~8cm SL Ilyodon xantusi; 9x ~4cm Ilyodon "teenagers"; 3x ~5-7cm SL Nomorhamphus hageni; 4x ~10cm SL Megalechis thoracata; 1x ~12cm SL Auchenooglanis cf. tchadensis; 1x ~7cm SL Aborichthys elongatus; 2x ~4cm SL Chaetostoma milesi; 1x ~5cm Chaetostoma spp. (MartinS' old fish, smaller uniform spots than what I think of as milesi); 3x ~5-7cm Steatocranus casuarius and monitor the situation.

I'm very torn between adding it to the African predator tank where it ought to get its share of food with no issues, or putting it in the 6-footer, because this fish became so much more diurnally active when placed with dithers which the predator tank lacks and I'm worried it will become really reclusive with the predators. The 48x18x18 is having several species added to it during this juggle, making it slightly more boisterous and very much more active at feeding time (I'm thinking I might pull the Chaetostoma out at least).

I was hoping to cut down to 4 active tanks, but my other major concern are my singleton ~2cm SL Microsynodonis sp.1 and ~5cm SL polli, sole survivors of two group wipeouts. I'd love to put them in the 6-footer, but I fear that my well behaved notata up until now may swallow them on a chance encounter (I "had kittens" this morning after adding 6 Nannostomus beckfordi to that tank yesterday evening, but all six were eventually present and correct). I'm currently thinking I will use my 60x30x30cm for the pencilfish and the Microsynos, possibly the Chaetostoma too.

...At times like this I ask myself why do I keep so many fish, the situation is really not helped by having my Rio240 dedicated to ~35 Ilyodon and ~70 Steatocranus youngsters!
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Synodontis congica and Microsynodontis "fish juggle" dil

Post by Richard B »

I'd go for thr predator tank as at lights out it should get access to all the non-pred intended foood you put in that gets to the bottom. I try and avoid mixing congica with notata as ive had trouble in the past.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Just popped back to see a reply in the last few minutes, thanks Richard. :)

My congica is amongst my favourite fish, "he" is one of the largest and yet is so placid, when "he" is happy I love watching him swim length after length midwater in the tank all day long. "He" came from Wildwoods when I expected a teenage notata, if I knew at the time that they had a tank of mislabelled congica, I would would have jumped at the chance of a group.

Since my original post I analysed what I seemed to be doing with my fish juggle, putting lots of my small fish with my gentle giant notata, risking their lives even though "he" has been excellently behaved in the 15 months I've had him (besides a really odd spat with my decora, a week or so before Mats rehomed my decora). Intresting to note you had issues combining notata and congica in the past.

So I'm now part way through putting my bigger, notata-safe and more boisterous fish into the 6-footer, including the healthy "pig eating" Ilyodon adults (with the Pareutropius going the other way and the Pencilfish already moved back). The holiday is not until Monday, so I will try and watch carefully at how my congica fares with my his new bottom dwelling tankmates, namely the 4 Hoplos; Giraffe and Weather Loach.

At least with this juggle, the predator tank will be a viable safe option if congica looks like he is struggling. :)
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
jippo
My images: 102
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 80 (i:64, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
Spotted: 38
Location 1: Finland
Location 2: Turku

Post by jippo »

I have mixed congica and notata few times and have no problems at all. Maybe they behave different at large tank?

Return to “African Catfishes”