snails!!!!!!

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

If it's the Burrowing Snail (aka Malaysian trumpet or Melanoides tuberculata) none at all!
it's a livebearing snail, and you can be pretty sure a single halfgrown 15mm burrower already spawns.....

All the other snailspecies are easy to control, this one however is THE PLAGUE

almost 95% of posts about "I have snails; help!" are about this rapidly multiplying critter....
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Of course with Loaches and snails,the snails will live on while you keep feeding the loaches other food. It's a fine balence to get them hunting for snails and keeping other fish happy with food.

Graeme.
Pectorale
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: punkrock and metal,read fantasy (Robin Hobb ought to win the first Nobelprize for fantasy) and aquaria of course

Post by Pectorale »

Ah yes, the famous "i've got to feed my snails" problem. I recommend a strict diet. Your fish can probably do without food for a few days, those snails will start to look better to them with every passing day. My large tank is kept clean by B. sidthimuntki and Platydoras costatus, my smaller tank is under a constant siege from those Malaysian pointed monsters, nothing my B.rostrata's do seems to phase them.
'Man will never be free until the last king is
strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Denis Diderot 1713 - 1784

Return to “Tank Talk”